cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones not registering/showing in CUCM7???

ejeangilles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all! I'm new to voice so be easy on me

I have a brand new installation of CUCM7 on ESX5 with 6 7961 IP phones. I'm going through the process of setting up and I can web gui into the CUCM. I even turned on the some of the services like Call manager, DHCP, and tftp. I also went and created a Call manager group, date/time group, and a region. I also want my CUCM to be the tftp server. When I connect my IP phones they get a DHCP addresses and they even got their firmware updated to the version that was in Device\Device settings\Device Defaults but their just not showing up in my registered phones. I also tried to updating the phones manually but no luck. Also, I have Auto registration checked CUCM group configuration and auto registration disabled unchecked in the CUCM configuration settings.

Can you guys tell me what I can possibly be missing or what to check to get the phones to register and show up in CUCM?

Also, how do I see the different firmware files loaded for each phone? 

I am able to browse to the IP of one of my phones and see device info and status messages. For example here is what one of my phones is saying.

Also, attached are some screenshots of my CUCM config

4:07:04p DNS Unknown Host 

4:07:04p DNS Unknown Host 

4:07:04p File Not Found : CTLFile.tlv

4:07:04p No CTL installed

4:07:04p File Not Found : SEP0018187C1CEB.cnf.xml

4:07:05p SEP0018187C1CEB.cnf.xml

4:07:05p DNS Unknown Host 

4:07:06p DNS Timeout localhost 4:07:04p DNS Unknown Host 

Any help or direction would be appreciated...

7 Replies 7

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Dear Friend

I thinkyou upload the same file for CUCM dhcp and CUCM dhcp subnet. Anyway firstly please type CUCM IP not the name , on cisco call manager go to  system  -  server -  hostname / ip address  please make sure that you type IP address not name.Also please in your first attached please change the name of CUCM to IP address of the Call manager. Cisco highly recommends that you do not rely on DNS name resolution for any communications between Cisco Unified CallManager and the IP Communications endpoints.

thank you

please rate if tis will help

Thanks. I tried what you said. I changed the hostname to the IP and now I can't login to my CUCM via web gui. It tells me "database communication error". I can only login via console of my vsphere client. I believe when this happens you need to go and update the CTL file. Does anyone have experience in this. I downloaded the plugin before and have it installed but I can't seem to connect to my CUCM via CTL client. Anyone can help me out here.

Edwin,

The first thing to note is this..CUCM7 is not supported on ESXI5.0 The earliest supported version is CUCM8.0. I suggest you install CUCM8.0

For the current issue, You can restart your cucm server to see if you can gain access to the CUCM admin web pagen again

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

I tried restarting my CUCM server with no luck. I'm going to try getting CUCM 8.x installed or just installing ESX4 on my server. I'll let you know

Thanks...

I did some detective work. I took another server installed ESX5 with CUCM 7 as before and I was able to get the phones to register. Then I exported the the image (OVA) back to the server I was having the problem with and then it started to work. It took a while for the phones to show because it had an unkown staus but it's working now. Weird...

Thanks aokanlawon for pointing me in the right direction...

My only question now is how do I access the different TFTP files that's stored on my call manager server so I  can view them, open them up, etc. Specifically I want to see and access the different phone files?

Edwin, you are welcome..

You can use this command to download the phone config

tftp -i 10.1.1.1 get SEP0000DEADBEEF.cnf.xml

where 10.1.1.1 is your TFTP server ip and sepxxx is the mac address of the phone you want

You can just run that command on any windows box, you  need to enable tftp client on windows 7

You can use this command to enable tftp on windows 7

dism /online/enable-feature/featurename:TFTP

you  need to be an admin on the box

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

I tried what you mentioned on a Win7 pc that was on the same network and this is what I got.

C:\>tftp -i 20.1.1.25 GET SEP0018195AA835.cnf.xml

Timeout occurred

Connect request failed

Now. Is there something I need to configure on the CUCM to make this work, or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, another question. On the Cisco Unified Communication Manager Software Compatibility Matrix they're are firmware version for each phone that goes with each version of Call Manager.  Is that document saying that a phone won't handle a higher firmware version that's listed in the document or are they're exceptions. Just trying to get a firm understanding....