Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pick up horn to dial

Hey forum,

I used to have a 7912 series Cisco IP Phone on my desk, but I now have a 7960 Series. With the old one I could put in the number I wanted to call and it would dial this number when I picked up the horn. I really enjoyed this functionality. Now with the new phone I can't do that any more, pressing in numbers when the horn is on the hook just doesn't do anything.

Is there perhaps a way to enable this on my 7960 series phone? I would very much appreciate any answer.

- Jack

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should work the same way. What happens when you press the buttons while on hook?

What system is the 7960 device registered to?

Hey Chris,

Thank you for your quick response!

When I press the numbers keys while on hook it just does not do anything at all and "NewCall" starts a call on speaker. The system is registered to asterisk with a FreePBX shell.

- Jack

I cannot speak for Asterisk, but with Cisco PBX (CUCM, CME) you have ability to dial on-hook on all phone models, so I would venture to guess there is a setting on Asterisk controlling it.

Isn't it a setting in the phone itself?

- Jack

No. These phones are pretty much a dummy terminals where the only things you can change on them vs. PBX is network configuration, i.e. assign static IP vs. DHCP, define TFTP address, etc.

I understand your thinking, but the extension number has been transferred from the old phone to the new one as well so I would assume that these kind of settings would also be applied to the new phone as well. I will look into it and google a little more and when I know more I'll let you know.

- Jack

According to this manual the option should be enabled. However, this manual is from 2015 and on the phone it says "(c) 2000-2009". For this reason I think it might be time to give it a firmware update, and I have no idea how to do that. I might someday look into it, but right now I unfortunately don't have the time.

Thank you very much for the help you've given me!

- Jack Outside the Box

Keep in mind 7960 is very old model (13+ years), which was later replaced by 7961-->62-->65, all of which are now end of sale. Though the behavior of this particular "feature" has not changed.