Views
Helpful
Replies

Please clarify QoS settings for various port types

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Just when I think I have this figured out, I discover something is not working as expected.  For example, a user that has a CIPC (Cisco IP Communicator) softphone on their PC, using wireless AP for the network access.  I discovered recently that our 'auto qos voip trust' entry for that trunk port conncted to the wireless access point did not allow the traffic to pass through with the QoS markings (I never saw the EF traffic on the router increment up while on a call on the CIPC...but it DID work for the desk phones).  So, I saw this post from Aaron Harrison about using the 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' entry on a port to cover both softphones AND desk phones.  Sure enough, after I changed it, it worked.

This is the post by Aaron I mentioned: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11339096/qos-marking-cisco-ip-communicator

So now I have a few other questions and I hope to finally clarify what is the proper entry to use on the port types below so we can be sure traffic is marked properly from the phones and/or CUCM servers.  Can you please have a look below and let me know what the correct entry would be for qos for each port type?

Access port with Cisco desk phone or Cisco IP Communicator softphone connected: 

auto qos voip cisco-softphone - For a normal access port for the users, I think this would entry would work for desk phones and softphones, correct?

Trunk port on switch connected to Cisco wireless access point:

auto qos voip cisco-softphone - I've already tried this and it works for desk phone and softphone traffic from the wireless AP passed on to the switch.

Trunk port between two switches - Trunk port on a switch connected to another switch:

??? - I think we can use 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' for this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Port channel between two switches - Two switches connected to each other using a port channel

??? - I'm confused about this one.  I've seen people say you should use 'mls qos trust cos' because it's layer two and I've seen some people say it's more appropriate to use 'mls qos trust dscp'.   Apparently you can't use the 'auto qos' entry on a port channel, so we're forced to use other mls qos trust cos or trust dscp, correct?  

Trunk port to router - Trunk port on a switch connected to a WAN router (WAN router will then send traffic to the WAN and of course receive marked traffic from the WAN):

??? - I think we can use 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' for this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Layer 3 port on switch connected to WAN router (Example, the switch port has the 'no switchport' entry and it has an IP address assigned to it).

??? - Can we use 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' for this type of switch port?

This how we have CUCM set:

Enterprise Parameters
DSCP for Phone-based Services = AF31 DSCP (011010)
DSCP for Phone Configuration = AF31 DSCP (011010)
DSCP for Cisco CallManager to Device Interface = AF31 DSCP (011010)

Service Parameters
Clusterwide Parameters (System - QOS)
DSCP for Audio Calls = 46
DSCP for Video Calls = 26

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The way to approach it, is to set up your access ports to use autoqos, your trunk and port channels can be set up as mls qos trust. so mls qos trust on your trunks assumes that all the DSCP values can be assumed correct as they have already been set on the access ports.

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks.   After reading a little about it, I figured that's sort of how to go about it.  The first place the traffic enters the network could use auto qos (even the trunk port for the wireless access point - I verified the traffic that made it to the router wasn't marked unless I did 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' on the trunk port connected to the WAP)...and then as you said, on the other trunks and port channel between switches and routers, use the trust command since the traffic was already marked and accepted at the edge/entry point to the network.

I think you got it mate!

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Voip

Do you have any completed to document regarding QOS marking between endpoint to endpoint.

We building CUCM 11.5 and i want to make sure QOS marking in place when we rollout CUCM 11.5

Iniyan