cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PLEASE HELP!

Ian Sully
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to use a Cisco 2811 Router as a TFTP Server for ring tones and backgrounds for my phones, I switched the CF Card from 64MB, to 512MB, and now I am unable to install the IOS Image onto the flash, I have tried everything, from different TFTP Software, to using my laptop as a TFTP Server, I do not know what else to do. Well someone help me please?

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does the router recognize the new 512mb CF?

I think it does, but it gives me this Error "Open Error = -66"

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Those brand new Flash cards must be formatted before using. I bet this is why is not recognized by router.

let me check what is  file format

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

my PC reads the original Cisco 2901 card as FAT file format. I use All-in-1 card reader which can read and connect CF to PC via usb. it is easier to copy/paste IOS images onto CF Card from laptop, then insert it to Cisco router

I tried formatting it, nothing.

The maximum size for flash supported on this router is 256. Please see this post for more details, https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/512mb-compact-flash-in-2811-2851/td-p/1218921

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:

The maximum size for flash supported on this router is 256.

No, it is not.  

All my routers have non-Cisco 2 Gb in them.  Works as good as the original Cisco 1 Gb varieties with no failures.

Routers can support CF sizes up to 16 Gb. 

It's possible that it might work, but the specifications state that the maximum for this model is 256Mb.

Response Signature

@Ian Sully wrote:

but it gives me this Error "Open Error = -66"

This means the CF is not supported. 

Find another brand.  Maximum size is 16 Gb.  

I have good success with Verbatim 2 Gb CF (below).s-l640[1].jpg