cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI Line Question

krstubblefield
Level 1
Level 1

We have a CUCM 11.5 that uses PRI lines.  I have 2 questions.

1. If I forward a desk phone to an outside line like a cell phone and I call that desk phone from an outside line does that take up 2 PRI lines?  One line for the call into the phone and another line for the system to call the cell phone the desk phone is forwarded to?

2. If I have a desk phone setup to use Mobility and I call that desk phone from an outside line does that take up 2 PRI lines?  One line for the call into the phone and another line for the system to call the cell phone the Mobility is programmed for?

I tested scenario 1 using RTMT Real Time Data but I only saw the one call coming in and not the call going out which led me to believe there is only one PRI line being used.  Common sense tells me its 2 lines being used.

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1 yes, there is a special configuration which few telcos support in which you would actually free up your channels in that scenario as both parties are external, but usually you do end up using 2 channels.

2 I think you actually mean SNR, mobility is when you call into the IVR from an external location and then place a call as if you were in your office. In either scenario you'd use 2 channels.

Look directly into the GW, if you have more than one GW, it might be going in/out through some other path.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For #1 the feature on PRIs is called Take Back and Transfer but most carriers do not support it, you would need to reach out to see if it is supported, it also requires that specific DTMF tones are sent to them during the call to initiate it, so I've only seen it done with contact center call flows. With SIP trunking (I know you don't have that) similar concept is achieved with SIP refer and some carrier do support it but many don't.

For #2, yet every outbound call to single number destination uses another outbound channel.