Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS deployment 3850 avaya phones

Kevin100
Level 1
Level 1

Hai

we are going to implement a campus network with 3850 switch stack and 4500x distribution and 6500 core.

the ip telephony system is avaya,i need to provide end to end  qos support.

Anybody help .suggestions,i prefer service policy model .

video conferencing also there 

Other than trusting dscp on specific phone port 

i need to differentiate multimedia conferencing traffic and voip traffic with access list.

suggestions please 

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

moyo oyegunle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

You can treat the Avaya Phones the same way you treat the Cisco Phones(Just no CDP, and sometimes no LLDP also).The Cisco SRND guide advises that you extend the trust boundary where you start trusting markings to the phones themselves(Cisco Collaboration System 9.x Solution Reference Network Designs (SRND).

You can set the Avaya Phone's QOS settings in their ip-network-region configuration(You can also set codecs on the ip-codec-set screen). I feel like doing this limits your configuration and management problems.And you can also do the same thing to your Video Endpoints.

Should this not be adequate for you can try using the VLAN or dst address, access-list and policy map remarking model:

Since you will assign a specific dhcp scope/vlan to voice you can write a class map statement to match traffic from that scope and remark them using an access list or you can write the class map statement to match a destination address(Which would be the destination address of the Avaya Call Server or in an older Avaya Environment the CLAN cards where the phones will register). This by definition means you will need to do this on every Access Layer Switch in your environment.

Kindly vote or mark question as answered.Thanks

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

moyo oyegunle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

You can treat the Avaya Phones the same way you treat the Cisco Phones(Just no CDP, and sometimes no LLDP also).The Cisco SRND guide advises that you extend the trust boundary where you start trusting markings to the phones themselves(Cisco Collaboration System 9.x Solution Reference Network Designs (SRND).

You can set the Avaya Phone's QOS settings in their ip-network-region configuration(You can also set codecs on the ip-codec-set screen). I feel like doing this limits your configuration and management problems.And you can also do the same thing to your Video Endpoints.

Should this not be adequate for you can try using the VLAN or dst address, access-list and policy map remarking model:

Since you will assign a specific dhcp scope/vlan to voice you can write a class map statement to match traffic from that scope and remark them using an access list or you can write the class map statement to match a destination address(Which would be the destination address of the Avaya Call Server or in an older Avaya Environment the CLAN cards where the phones will register). This by definition means you will need to do this on every Access Layer Switch in your environment.

Kindly vote or mark question as answered.Thanks

Dear moyo oyegunle

Thanks for reply,As per the policy any point should support data and voice.

So trusting particular port is out of scope,if it was cisco i can trust conditional.

so only option using class map mark voice vlan for ef and video and other applications  using access list right.

best regards

Yes

The auto qos works with supported devices(CDP enabled) and the global qos trust will trust any DSCP markings from that port so exempting using a specific match statement in the class map or an access list to explicitly classify the traffic cant think of another solution.