Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions regarding migrating licenses from 8.6.2 to 11.x

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into the considerations for upgrading from 8.6.2 to 11.x, and one interesting issue that's come up is regarding licensing. Must all public space phones (no user attached) take up a UWL, or is an Enhanced license enough? This is assuming a 79xx or 78xx desktop phone.

Also, how does PLM migrate the licenses on-premise if there is no internet connection? From what I gather from the PLM User Guide, I need to supply:

1) An estimate of public space phones

2) License Count Utility Pre-upgrade report, or a case number

3) UCSS/ESW or Sales Order number for upgrade

And to email the report and license request to cisco licensing report. Is this possible to perform this without an internet connection, and preferably without having to copy files from the production network to the internet?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When you do not associate any users to phones, then licenses will be consumed based on phone model. For example, one 79xx phone needs one enhanced license.

Regarding your second question, yes you can get the licenses without internet connection by contacting Cisco Licensing team with those three things you mentioned along with the UUID copied from PLM after installation so that the license they provide will be bound to that.

HTH

Rajan

Pls rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When you do not associate any users to phones, then licenses will be consumed based on phone model. For example, one 79xx phone needs one enhanced license.

Regarding your second question, yes you can get the licenses without internet connection by contacting Cisco Licensing team with those three things you mentioned along with the UUID copied from PLM after installation so that the license they provide will be bound to that.

HTH

Rajan

Pls rate all useful posts

Thanks for the quick response.

When I migrate from MCS to VM before the upgrade (platform conversion), will I need to migrate my current licenses via Cisco or can I imitate the License Mac from my MCS for the new virtual machines?

Since you are going to version 11 which uses PLM there is no process of imitating MAC address, you need to go either through PUT to order the upgrade and receive PAK for license upgrade or work with licensing@cisco.com.

Thanks Chris.

If I broke the upgrade into two parts so that first I made a platform change to VM and only at a much later date upgraded to 11.x, would I still need to go through PUT to convert my licenses for MCS to VM?

Hi Hod,

As Chris mentioned, CUCM 11.x licenses are no longer bound to mac address but for version 8.6 it is. Hence if you change the platform for the current version (8.6) from MCS to UCS, you need to contact licensing team and get a new license.

Because with MCS, physical MAC will be bound to the license whereas when you move it to VM its license MAC which is created automatically based on various parameters you have configured like NTP, IP address etc. as mentioned in the below discussion:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11650451/mac-address-licenses-cucm-ucs

HTH

Rajan