cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recomended 7835 Series Server for Callmanager 9.x

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

We currently have 2 older 3rd party callmanager servers (7835 class Cisco Authorized 3rd Party) running callmanager 7.1.5.  I would like to upgrade to the newer 9.x software, however these servers are obviously too old to run 9.x (I don't think they will even run 8.x, at least not on Cisco's list). 

That being said, I'm looking for a recomendation for new servers in the 7835 class that not only will be able to run 9.x (and hopefully future versions of callmanager, but also will let me load the older 7.1.5 version temporarily to perform the migration and upgrade to the newer versions. 

What Cisco Servers would you recomend?  I'm looking at just running physical servers and not virtualizing the servers at this time. 

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1 & 2 No, you need to a lot of reading on the new policies about HW support.

ALL (and I mean that) the info you need, is here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

3 that's the unsupported path, once you reach target version, you DRS from that machine into a fresh install

The supported path is upgrade to AT LEAST 8.0(2) on MCS, then go virtual

4 Review requirements on link, you do not need to do this on Cisco HW.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

manpres2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jim,

I checked the Server compability matrix and found the following servers which will do the job till Call Manager 9 but can not say anything about Call Manager 10 . These servers are supported for CM7,CM8 and CM9

MCS-7835-I3 V01-V04

MCS-7835-I3-IPC1

MCS7835I3-K9-CMB2

MCS7835I3-K9-CMC2

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD1

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD2

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD3

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD3A

MCS-7835-I3 V05-V06

MCS-7835-I3-IPC2

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD2B

MCS7835I3-K9-CMD3B

MCS7835I3-K9-CME1

Link to server compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hi NPT,

For Call Manager 10, it would be all Virttualization.

As far as I know, No MCS servers would be promoted by Cisco .

regds,

aman

Virtualization is the way to go, you'll be wasting money if you want to keep using CUCM and buy MCSs right now.

HTH

java

HTH

java

I would love to just virtualize Callmanager under VMware, however a couple issues potentially arise with this.

We are currently running VMware (VSphere/ESXi Essentials Plus) for some of our infrastructure servers with Dell Servers and a NetApp iSCSI SAN. 

However the issues I see are:

1.  As far as I understand it Cisco only will support Virtualization of their software, including callmanager on their hardware and storage, even if it is VMware which should be hardware independant.  Is this true?

2.  If I do have to use Cisco Servers and Storage with VMware can I just increase my licensing with VMware and add them to my existing VMware cluster or do I need to setup a totally separate VMware cluster just for virtualizing Cisco Software?

3.  Since I am only at version 7.1 on callmanager can I virtualize an instance of 7.1 under VMWare for my publisher and upgrade it to 8.x then 9.x or if not what is the best way to convert and upgrade. 

4.  If I have to buy new Cisco hardware and storage to virtualize on what would you recomend (Server and Storage)to virtualize a couple callmanager servers. 

Any additional advise would be much appreciated. 

Thank You,

Jim

1 & 2 No, you need to a lot of reading on the new policies about HW support.

ALL (and I mean that) the info you need, is here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

3 that's the unsupported path, once you reach target version, you DRS from that machine into a fresh install

The supported path is upgrade to AT LEAST 8.0(2) on MCS, then go virtual

4 Review requirements on link, you do not need to do this on Cisco HW.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks for the link, I'm reviewing the info now, it doesn't look quite as bad as I was thinking.  My biggest issue may be getting to 8.0(2) as I'm not sure that my existing servers will upgrade to 8.0(2) before migrating to Virtual.

Even though I haven't finished reading through all the documentation yet a couple additional questions come to mind.

1.  With the servers virtualized is it still recomended that you run a publish and subscriber callmanager, or is it best to just run high availability with VMWare and a single server instance?

2.  I'm thinking perhaps my easiest migration pat (if I can't upgrade to 8.0(5) on my existing servers) might be to get a single MCS server, use it as my publisher server, backup and restore my 7.x publisher install to the new MCS server, then upgrade to 8.0(5) on the publisher.  I can bring the old IBM 7.x subscriber offline and then load a 8.0(5) subscriber under VMware and then continue upgrading to 9.x.  At that point I can either move my publisher over to VMware or keep it as a physical server (with the subscriber as a VM until 10.x comes out and then I can migrate all teo VMware. 

Does that make sense or is there another easier way to get my 7.1 install to 8.0(2) before virtualizing? 

We keep doing clustering as we have done in the past, when you reach the sizing chapter, you'll see all the info

But in short, yes, you need subscribers, preferably on separate blades/servers than your PUB for resiliency.

The unsupported path and during which you won't get any Cisco support is

Install same release on ESXi, then keep upgrading as necessary to the target release you want.

Once there, DRS that VM on which you upgraded, install a fresh install with the same target release, DRS restore.

What you're mentioning on #2, would also work.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks, I didn't that CCM 7.x would even load under VMware (even non Cisco Supported), I'll finish reading the documentaiton and decide exactly what route I will take.  Thanks for the great advice.