cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rejoining a rebuilt Subscriber server to the cluster

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

We had some disks fail that caused one of our CUCM subscriber servers to be lost. The plan is to reinstall it on another datastore on the same UCS server and join this back to the cluster.

My hope is that I can reinstall the subscriber and during the install process when it asks to join the cluster (I can't remember what that step is called...where it asks for the password to join), I can simply type in the password and it'll be added back the same as it was before and the publisher would push all the config to the subscriber. Will that work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct, but it is also recommended to do a restore of a DRS backup on the node that you just rebuilt. This is to restore any additional files and such that you might have uploaded to the system over time as those would not be pushed by the Publisher. It would “only” push the database to the Subscriber. If you are rebuilding the Publisher you’ll have to stop the database replication on all your Subscribers before you begin, otherwise you’ll end up with an empty database. If you do end up with this it can be restored by a DRS restore, but it’s an unneeded service interruption.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

That is correct, but it is also recommended to do a restore of a DRS backup on the node that you just rebuilt. This is to restore any additional files and such that you might have uploaded to the system over time as those would not be pushed by the Publisher. It would “only” push the database to the Subscriber. If you are rebuilding the Publisher you’ll have to stop the database replication on all your Subscribers before you begin, otherwise you’ll end up with an empty database. If you do end up with this it can be restored by a DRS restore, but it’s an unneeded service interruption.

Response Signature

OK. Thanks. I'll have to check to see if there's a good recent backup of that particular server (it's in a region I don't normally manage). 

Only one CUCM subscriber needs to be rebuilt. The pub is in another city and still running well. I'll also have to rebuild a Unity subscriber. (same issue...it was on the same UCS server in the same datastore/same disks).