Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove 8861's from provisioning

autumnwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently was given a few 8861's from a decommissioned site at work. They are 3PCC models which were previously connected to Broadworks.

All devices were removed from Broadworks, but they still "call home" after factory reset and pull down a provisioning profile from Cisco. 

Is there some way to have these handsets removed from the zero touch provisioning service so that I can configure them manually with a SIP account?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the phones are running in 3PCC, then just do a factory-reset.  

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If this phone has been previously registered to another platform and used EDOS/CDA, then a factory reset won't help. 
Whoever you received this phone from ask them to remove the EDOS/CDA record. Otherwise, every time you factory reset, the phone will reach out to EDOS and try and download some configuration. 

One way around it would be to factory reset the phone, while its offline. Then once the phone boots up, you configure it (still offline). Once the configuration is done, you can bring it online and get it registered. 

@Geovani this sounds like what I have going on! After factory resetting the phone it will reboot two or three times and "Apply Profile" and then I cannot access the web admin interface.

I spoke to the team at the office and they told me the devices have all been removed from Broadworks - but apparently that doesn't remove them from CDA. They gave me the administrative password so I can log into the devices after they pull a profile, but I'd really like to just have them removed from CDA so that they don't "brick" somewhere down the road if the password gets changed, profile changes, etc.

Is there any way Cisco can assist? For example - I also got a couple of Yealink devices and Yealink support were able to remove the devices from RPS for me.

Try opening a case with the CDA team: https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/swl?PNP

@Geovani unfortunately it will not let me open a ticket as I don't have a service contract.

lpersing
Level 1
Level 1

I had a request to convert MPP phones back to an enterprise firmware for an on prem CUCM conversion from Broadworks. Cisco isn't to keen on that path as they are pushing everything to the Cloud. You can use this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7800-series/guide-c07-742786.html look for figure 4. I checked with my Cisco account team and they provided me with a license file tied to the phones MAC address that made the conversion possible. No amount of factory reset is going to get those phones moved to an Enterprise firmware load. HTH

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think this case has anything to do with conversion licenses. 

@autumnwalker , if you don't have a service contract with Cisco, then I advise you to get in touch with whoever supplied you with the phone in order to get it removed from EDOS.

@Geovani sorry to bring back an old thread - but I do have a follow up. I reached out to the org and was told they removed the phones from "their network", but that they cannot remove from "the manufacturer’s zero-touch provisioning site, only change the routing profile".

Is there someone / some way I can reach out to Cisco to get these removed from EDOS? I'd hate to trash these (virtually brand new) devices becuase they just go into a provisioning black hole.