Views
Helpful
Replies

Resuming Held Calls on Shared Lines with 1 Button Press

jriacono5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a VIP user that recently switched from a Nortel phone to a Cisco 8851. He is frustrated that he now needs to press two buttons to resume a held call on one of his rollover lines instead of just pushing the line button once like on his old phone. Is there anything we can do to accomplish pressing a line button with a held call and resuming that call at the same time? Is there a different phone model than the 8851 that may do this?

Thank you,

James

5 Replies 5

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

This is the default behavior and I know its little awkward. From the guide,

Answer Multiple Lines

If you are talking on the phone when you get another call, a message appears briefly on the phone screen. Press the flashing amber line button to switch lines and press the session button to answer the second call. The first call goes on hold automatically

You can enable Actionable Incoming Call Alert. 

- When this feature is enabled, an actionable alert displays when there is an incoming call. The alert replaces the traditional incoming call pop-up notification, and the user must respond to the alert.

Note - If both the Custom Line Filters and Actionable Incoming Call Alert features are enabled, actionable call alerts apply only to the lines that are covered by filters.

Procedure
Step 1 Go to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration and choose one of the following:
• System > Enterprise Phone Configuration
• Device > Device Settings > Common Phone Profile
• Device > Phone
Step 2 Locate the Actionable Incoming Call Alert field and set the field to the appropriate setting.
The possible field values are:
• Disabled: (default) The actionable incoming call alert is disabled. The traditional incoming call pop-up
alert displays.
• Show for all Incoming Call: The actionable incoming call alert displays for all calls regardless of visibility.
• Show for Invisible Incoming Call: The actionable incoming call alert displays for calls not shown on
the phone. This parameter behaves similarly to the incoming call alert pop-up notification.
If you also configure this field in the other windows, the setting precedence is:
1 Device Configuration window settings
2 Common Phone Profile window settings
3 Enterprise Phone Configuration window settings
Step 3 Select Save.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Hello Rath,

My apologies, but I may be misunderstanding your response. Will a change to the "Actionable Incoming Call Alert" setting resolve my issue? The research I've done on it seems like it only relates to incoming calls. In our case, the calls come in on shared lines, are answered by an assistant, then placed on hold, the assistant tells the manger "you have a call on line 2", and the manager wants to resume that call by just pressing his "line 2" button without having to hit the resume softkey as well.

Thank you,

James

Hi there

I just tried with a 9951 phone in my lab, unfortunately dont have a 8851 piece. I did the below

1. Manager ext: 2001 shared on Asst phone as secondary line
  2. Called 2001 from User Phone (2003). Both Manager & Asst phones rings !!
  3. Asst answered the call , Now Manager Phone line (Left Side) shows up RED.
  4. Asst Hold the line by pressing HOLD Key
  5. Manager can see the Hold Status (Right side key starts Blinking RED and User hears Music on Hold)
  6. Manager can press the Right Side Key and Retrieves the call
  7. Asst call will be disconnected

You can also try this by consulting the Manager as well

1. Manager ext: 2001 shared on Asst phone as secondary line
  2. User dials 2001 (Manager) and Asst answers
  3. Asst Hold the line by pressing HOLD Key
  4. Manager can see the Hold Status (Right side key starts Blinking RED and User hears Music on Hold)
  5. Asst selects his/her other line >> New Call and Dial 2001
  6. Manager Answers and if he wants to retrieve the call, he can press the Right side Key (blinking RED)

What I found is basically once Asst marks the call as HOLD, Manager can retrieve the call by a single click on the right side Session buttons.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

cdevkota-sc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Did yo find any resolution on this? I have exactly same issue. Assistant pickup shared line and keep hold and informs Manager to take a held call. Manager need to press line button (1) and Resume (2) softkey- which making frustrated many users. This helps if we configure shared line in the first line appearance and you can only press Resume to get call. Please share if anyone find the resolution if shared line configured any other button and this works as expected.

anyone find a fix to this? same issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: