cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing calls for unassigned DN in CUCM

uchakraborty03
Level 1
Level 1

We have some unassigned DIDs with various random ranges in CUCM. The requirement is to route all the incoming calls on these unassigned DNs towards VM pilot.

CUCM version 11.5

Call flow: Provider -> CUBE -> CUCM

Kindly provide your suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Create this configuration to handle what you ask about.

1. Create a partition and name it with something intuitive, for ex SE_Unallocated_DN_PT if you're setting this up in Sweden (where I'm based). SE = Country Code
  2. In that PT create one translation pattern that matches \+!, ie any number in +E.164 format and translate the called number to the number for the VM pilot and send the call out via a CSS that has visibility of the PT that sends calls to the VM system. If you are using other number format you need to adopt the match of the TP to fit you need
  3. Create a new CSS that is to be used as the incoming CSS on the trunk or gateway. Name it for ex SELU_Inc_GW_CSS. SE still represent the country and LU is the site name. Remember to reset the trunk/gateway after you alter the configuration
  4. Put the PT created in the first step into the CSS created in the prior step at the top position in the list. Make sure that all other PTs needed to route inbound calls to directory numbers and anything else is present in the CSS, but ordered lower than the newly created PT mentioned above

This should be all that you need to route any ingress calls coming from PSTN to un-allocated numbers to a catch all destination.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Create this configuration to handle what you ask about.

1. Create a partition and name it with something intuitive, for ex SE_Unallocated_DN_PT if you're setting this up in Sweden (where I'm based). SE = Country Code
  2. In that PT create one translation pattern that matches \+!, ie any number in +E.164 format and translate the called number to the number for the VM pilot and send the call out via a CSS that has visibility of the PT that sends calls to the VM system. If you are using other number format you need to adopt the match of the TP to fit you need
  3. Create a new CSS that is to be used as the incoming CSS on the trunk or gateway. Name it for ex SELU_Inc_GW_CSS. SE still represent the country and LU is the site name. Remember to reset the trunk/gateway after you alter the configuration
  4. Put the PT created in the first step into the CSS created in the prior step at the top position in the list. Make sure that all other PTs needed to route inbound calls to directory numbers and anything else is present in the CSS, but ordered lower than the newly created PT mentioned above

This should be all that you need to route any ingress calls coming from PSTN to un-allocated numbers to a catch all destination.

Response Signature

Just to clarify few more things:

- We performed some phone cleanups, so post that we have these DNs as unassigned and available to use for new phones.

- These are around thousands in numbers and have the regular PT assigned to them already.

- Cannot delete these unassigned DNs, as these are used as reference while assigning an available DN to a new device.

What can be done in this case to achieve the requirement?

If you keep directory numbers in the not assigned state they still exist and as such they are not really unassigned as you first wrote. At least not what is normally considered when using that terminology. What you could do is to change the call forwarding on these none used directory numbers to pass the call to the entity in the voicemail system to play the message.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger!

But the call forwarding doesn't work on the DNs unless they are assigned/associated to any device.

Is there any other way by which this requirement can be achieved?

Call forward all and call forward unregistered should work regardless if the directory number is associated to a device. If it does not you’ll need to either remove the unused directory numbers or move them to another partition that is not visible in any calling search space. Then you will need to follow the outline I shared previously.

Response Signature

I just tested in one of our CMs and call forward all and call forward unregistered does work on unassigned directory numbers.

image.pngimage.png

Response Signature

Roger,

I tested this - and I found that Call Forward to Voicemail worked on Unassigned Directory Numbers.

But I found that Call Forwarding did not.

For testing purposes I added the Unallocated DN to a CTI route Point (with Empty CSS) and as soon as I did, Call Forwarding worked (and of course the number was no longer unallocated).

i.e. found that Unallocated DN Call Forwarding did NOT work except to voicemail.

I don't understand why one works and the other does not.

EDIT: By default when you delete a DN from a device - call forwarding doesn't work - because the Unassigned DN is not "active".
When a DN becomes unassigned - an additional Field & checkbox appears in "Direct Number Information" section.

The HELP describes this checkbox as follows:
-----
Active - To view this checkbox on the Directory Configuration window, access an unassigned Directory number from teh Route Plan Report Window. Checking this box allows calls to this DN to be forwarded (if forwarding is configured). If check box is not checked, Unified Communications ignores the DN
-----

Note: I found this not to be 100% true as call forwards to voicemails did continue to work. While call forwarding to DNs did not. But this at least explains why the Call Forwarding didn't work.

Gerry

Did you manage to get this sorted out?

If so please mark the question as answered and give helpful vote to the replies that you feel deserve it.

Response Signature

uchakraborty03
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Roger! We were able to implement the solution to achieve the requirement.