cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security alarm with VG224 Port

Wilson Baez
Level 1
Level 1

I configured a port on my VG224 (MGCP) and connected to a security alarm, however the pannel reads comm failure. Does anyone know if I need a special configuration or the VG is not compatible to be used with Alarms?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

afmmanicke
Level 1
Level 1

Here's a couple of things I came across when researching a similar situation (the backup line for a fire pannel) a while ago:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/voip/96267

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-voip/2007-June/024314.html

Long story short the VG224 is receiving DTMF tones faster than it can pass the tones out.

The section refferencing converting the alarm system to use 4+2 mode was brought up to the company that manages our systems.   They said that option was depricated.

My quick and easy solution was to purchase a couple of POTS lines from the TelCo.

If you come up with a better solution I'd be happy to hear it.

TONY

I found that the pannel was expecting at least 48 volts DC, to determine that there is a good line there, once the voltage drops it will give a comm error, I try two things

set the port to idle voltage hihg which will give 38 vDC not good.

I also insert the command alt-battery-feed feed2  which increased the voltage to 42 VDC still no good. So i have to go back to regular analog lines from ATT in this case which provide an onhook voltage of 51.

I will keep searching and will post if i find a solution.

Thanks for your help.

Summit.
Level 4
Level 4

Wilson,

Same here. I had to order pots line for my client as the FXS, ATA or Vg option didn't work with the fire panel as it looks for a particular signal which the above devices do not provide. Also, since it's your security system you wouldn't it to be dependent on your pbx and power cause if that goes down the security system is down as well.

Regards,

Yanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App