Views
Helpful
Replies

Sending a FAX over the WAN

nascoentr
Level 1
Level 1

Referring to the topology in the attached diagram

I would like to know how it is possible to send a fax from Site B (Branch) using the PSTN line of Site A (Head Office) over the WAN

What are the commands and configuration

I can make phone calls over the WAN using the Cisco Communications Manager Express on the router and everything is working fine

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you make PSTN call from site B through the router in. esite A? If yes then you can make fax calls too as fax basically starts with a voice call. You need to deternimne what fax protoco;l you want to use. T.38 or passthrough? What fax signalling do you want to use? NSE or signalling? It all depends. Since you are passing the calls over the WAN, you need to know if you have enough bandwidth for additional fax calls. Passthroug uses G.711 which is about 64kbps. T.38 uses G.729 which is about 8kbps.

Please rate all useful posts

Thank you Aokanlawon,
I am able to make calls from Site B over the WAN using the PSTN of site A as all the ip phones in Site A have their TFTP Server set to the CCME in SITE A and hence register to the CCME in site A and appear as a local resource, I'm able to make calls using an Analog phone in Site B as well over the WAN using the PSTN at site A since the router at Site B is a Voice Gateway which sends all calls to the CCME which has dial-peers on its side at Site A.
I'm planning on using the Cisco Fax Protocol which i belive is T.38, I would like to know if the below config is enough for my fax to be set up.
dial-peer voice 1 voip
destination-pattern . (this will match anything)
session target ipv4:10.200.72.37 (this is the IP on my CCME on site A)
fax protocol cisco            
fax-relay ecm disable          
fax nsf <000000>         
fax-rate <1440> bytes <20>
Thank You,
Aamer

Message was edited by: nascoentr

Thank you Aokanlawon,
I am able to make calls from Site B over the WAN using the PSTN of site A as all the ip phones in Site A have their TFTP Server set to the CCME in SITE A and hence register to the CCME in site A and appear as a local resource, I'm able to make calls using an Analog phone in Site B as well over the WAN using the PSTN at site A since the router at Site B is a Voice Gateway which sends all calls to the CCME which has dial-peers on its side at Site A.
I'm planning on using the Cisco Fax Protocol which i belive is T.38, I would like to know if the below config is enough for my fax to be set up.
dial-peer voice 1 voip
fax protocol cisco            
fax-relay ecm disable          
fax nsf <000000>         
fax-rate <1440> bytes <20>
Thank You,
Aamer

billymcmillan
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco fax protocol is not T38. Cisco fax is their own protocol and T38 is an industry standard.

I would advise using T38 rather than cisco fax, cisco themselves recommend T38 and if you use PVQM3 memory in your routers then cisco fax isn't even supported.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

billymcmillan
Level 1
Level 1

The configuration would be something like this:

dial-peer voice 1 voip

fax protocol t38

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: