cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Settings Button Doesn't Work On Cisco 7940 IP Phone

josephninio
Level 1
Level 1

I erased a Cisco 7940 completely and it is currently running the universal application loader. I would like use TFTP to get the SIP firmware, which I have a copy of, onto the phone. However, when I press the settings button on the phone to try and change the phone's network settings to work with my TFTP/DHCP server, nothing happens. I have tried the lock/unlock sequence, which did nothing and have tried to erase it again several times. Does anyone know how to fix this, or does anyone know the default network settings inputted into the phone, so that I can make my TFTP/DHCP server match those settings.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

5 Replies 5

Pankaj Misra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi josephninio,

You need to use a DHCP server which will provide network settings with option 150 to phone.

You can install tftpd32 (free) in your PC which will work as both dhcp and tftp server (if firmwares files are in your PC). In the DHCP settings set option 150 with tftp server address where firmware files are located.

PM

Please rate all helpful posts.

Does the phone have option 150 set in it by default and do I need to set a specific IP address for the phone and/or the TFTP server? Also, do you know what may be causing the setting button not to work?

Thank you in advance for your help

The phone is basically in a failsafe BIOS that has only enough functionality to download and install firmware. There is no user-facing I put options in this state. Your only option is to use a DHCP server to assign the phone including Option 150 to tell it the IPv4 address of your TFTP server. From there you will also need a properly formatted XML config file for the phone to discover which .loads it should use.

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any instructions on how to properly format the XML file?

Also, is the phone looking for the TFTP server at a specific IP address?

I am not familiar with how to use the DHCP server to tell the phone the IP of the TFTP server. How do I do this?

Your help is very much appreciated. :)