cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP & SCCP on the same phone model?

darksilicon
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to tell Call Manager Express (CUCME 8.6) to set the same phone type 7911G -- to make one ephone SCCP for internal lines and SIP for external lines? I can imagine the following issues:

• The config file for the sip phone is going to locate the router at 192.168.1.1 while the external ip might be 12.x.x.x
  • I dont see a CLI command for load this firmware for this ephone, etc...
  • As I understand it SCCP over wan is a horrible idea mainly because it just doesnt understand NAT/Mac Addresses are useless.

Either way I would enjoy some input as I have multiple remote workers and I would love to put phones on their desks just not with VPN.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will not have good results trying to register the phone directly to a public address, on reason is that would expose you CME to SIP from outside, not a good idea.

To use a phone with CME from a remote location, setup a proper VPN, and everything will run smooth and secure.

My sip trunk is connected to my CUCME whats the diff in a phone? VPN is too much overhead / bandwidth.

You don't need the phone to be in SIP mode to use a SIP trunk with CME.

And VPN overhead is not too much once it provides you with features a security.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: