Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk configuration on 2900 router

kardosabr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello There...
I have cisco 2900 series router and we transformed to sip trunk recentrly, does this router model supports sip? needs a special license?
and how's the configurations please.

My network design is like this PSTN>>>Voice GW Router 2900>>>FIREWALL>>>Call Manager

23 Replies 23

Thanks so much for your kind help,
This is my first time configuring a router to act as SBC, I will find workaround to how config SBC features.

In my first response to your post there is a link to a document for how to configure a Cisco router as an SBC by using the Cube functionality. It’s not a direct reference for how to configure it to fit the needs for your specific service provider, you’d need to get the specifics for that from the SP and then adopt the configuration to fit your needs.

Response Signature

Please, does it need any special license to act as SBC?

You’ll need SIP trunk licenses.

Response Signature

kardosabr
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate your time and effort

The 2900 has reached its EOL and the replacement which is 4k also announced its EOL which reach on 2028, You need a new hardware which will be 8200 or 8300 based on your requirements. CUBE is a licensed feature, you need to procure the license based on how many sessions you subscribe with the ITSP.

I would suggest to reach out to a local Cisco partner who is good in collaboration in your region who can assist you on proposing a solution and also ask him to include the PS which include the configuration of the CUBE feature.

Response Signature

Hello Dear,
Our cisco supplier has recommended to tech refresh for the voice gateway, The cisco 2911 platform doesn't support CUBE feature/licensed as advised by cisco.
The question is, Does cisco C8200 is appropriate platform for this matter?

Thank you and I appreciate your help in answering.

Yes there are 8200 model(s) that are suitable for voice services.

Response Signature

The Cisco 2900 Series routers do support SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) trunks, which are commonly used for VoIP (Voice over IP) communications. However, there are specific requirements and configurations needed to enable this functionality.

Requirements and Licensing

1. IOS Version: Ensure that your Cisco 2900 Series router is running an IOS version that supports SIP. Typically, this would be one of the later versions in the 15.x series.
  2. Licensing: You need the appropriate feature license to enable voice functionalities. For SIP trunking, the "Unified Communications" feature set must be activated. This might require a "UC" license.
  3. DSP Modules: If you plan to use voice features like conferencing or transcoding, Digital Signal Processor (DSP) modules are necessary.

Basic Configuration Steps

1. Configure SIP Trunk on Voice Gateway:

• Define the SIP UA (User Agent).
    • Configure dial peers for outbound and inbound calls.
  2. Configure Dial Peers:

• Create SIP dial peers to match dial strings and direct calls to the SIP trunk.
  3. Configure Call Manager:

• Ensure that the Call Manager is set up to communicate with the SIP trunk on the voice gateway.

Below is a basic example of how you might configure SIP on a Cisco 2900 Series router:

plaintext
Copy code
voice service voip allow-connections sip to sip sip bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0 bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0 sip-ua registrar ipv4:<CallManager_IP_Address> expires 3600 dial-peer voice 1 voip description **Outbound to SIP Provider** destination-pattern 9T session protocol sipv2 session target ipv4:<SIP_Provider_IP_Address> voice-class codec 1 dtmf-relay rtp-nte no vad dial-peer voice 2 voip description **Inbound from SIP Provider** incoming called-number . session protocol sipv2 session target ipv4:<CallManager_IP_Address> voice-class codec 1 dtmf-relay rtp-nte no vad voice class codec 1 codec preference 1 g711ulaw codec preference 2 g729r8

Configuring Call Manager

1. Add SIP Trunk:

• Go to Device > Trunk, and add a new SIP trunk.
    • Configure the trunk with the IP address of the Cisco 2900 router.
  2. Route Patterns:

• Define route patterns that direct calls to the SIP trunk.
  3. Security:

• Configure necessary security settings such as SIP trunk security profile, normalization script, and SIP profile.

Network Design Consideration

Ensure your network best design allows for the proper flow of SIP traffic:

• PSTN > Voice GW Router 2900 > Firewall > Call Manager

Make sure that the firewall rules allow SIP and RTP (Real-Time Protocol) traffic between the voice gateway and the Call Manager. Additionally, NAT (Network Address Translation) settings should not interfere with SIP signaling.

References

Ensure you verify these configurations with your specific environment and consult the relevant Cisco documentation for detailed and specific commands and configurations tailored to your needs. For more information, you can visit this link.https://iiganony.com/