cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smallest Router that can do CME

dlockwald1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at some small business projects and I'm trying to see what the smallest/cheapest routers that will support CME and CUE. These would be for small shops no more then 50-75 people some might be as small as 10. I'd like to find a set-up that gives them Cisco phones, voice mail, and VPN with AD authentication all in one device from Cisco. 

If anyone has some preferences I'd love to hear them. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RICK CLEMENTS
Level 1
Level 1

Based on what you indicated in your question I would go with a CME/CUE at each location.  Even a 2901 can do CME/CUE and can be licensed at a very small size.  You need a little bit bigger (more horsepower) you could go to a 2911 or even bigger with a 2921. They very easily network together if that is part of your requirements.  I have not seen where there are many limitations on a CME/CUE provision. there are some rather high level services that they cannot perform but from your question I did not see any standout issues.

Just my opinion after having put in about 40 of them as autonomous branch locations. Not much I cannot do with a CME/CUE.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Shadi Shami
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I suggest 2911, for more info please check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme105spc.html

Thank you,

Shadi

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can look into BE6KS for that many users, and provide many more features, just a suggestion.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Isn't that just a drop in server with CUCM on it and a licence package? These are small companies that want Cisco phones or already have them but they will never grow beyond 30-40 employees. 

It depends on the business model you are supporting.  The 2911 can be setup up for CME and CUE.  My initial impression was you have multiple sites of 50-75 people with some being as small as 10.  This is more of a Cisco partner question at this point.

Brandon Pierce
Level 4
Level 4

Yep, Jaime's advice here.  BE6K, drop a branch voice gateway at each location and done.  You would find yourself quickly getting out of control if you went with a CME and started expanding.  If it was just 50 users only I would say a 2911 with CME/CUE but if you got multiple sites and the potential for growth the BE6K.

RICK CLEMENTS
Level 1
Level 1

Based on what you indicated in your question I would go with a CME/CUE at each location.  Even a 2901 can do CME/CUE and can be licensed at a very small size.  You need a little bit bigger (more horsepower) you could go to a 2911 or even bigger with a 2921. They very easily network together if that is part of your requirements.  I have not seen where there are many limitations on a CME/CUE provision. there are some rather high level services that they cannot perform but from your question I did not see any standout issues.

Just my opinion after having put in about 40 of them as autonomous branch locations. Not much I cannot do with a CME/CUE.

dlockwald1
Level 1
Level 1

That was the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much.