cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stopping CAPF om CUCM 9.1, what consequences?

tony loktu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a customer that have two CUCM clusters, both running 9.1.1 (long story why it ended up so).

One cluster have not enabled "Cisco CTL Provider" or "Cisco Certificate Authority Proxy Function" and the other have not. Why its like this i don't know.

The one cluster where both of these services are enable we have started to get warnings about "capf certificate is about to expire".

Both clusters are working fine.

We don't use Sip Secure and most (almost every) device uses SCCP.

What would happen if disable  "Cisco CTL Provider" and "Cisco Certificate Authority Proxy Function"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tony,

Please chck under System > Clusterwide parameters on cucm admin page

This parameter indicates the security mode of the cluster. A value of 0 indicates Non Secure (phones will register in non-secure mode [no security]); 1 indicates Mixed (the cluster allows the registration of both secure devices and non-secure devices).

If the value is 0, then it should be okay as per what you see on the IP phones.

Manish

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

CAPF works in tandem with CTL as explained in detail here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/10_0_1/secugd/CUCM_BK_C68276B4_00_cucm-security-guide-100/CUCM_BK_C68276B4_00_cucm-security-guide-100_chapter_01010.html#CUCM_TP_CBFA1090_00

You don't need these services if the server is not running in secure or mixed-mode.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Hi Manish

Just to be sure:

I have located all the phones and every device has LSC status "none" or nothing in the "CAPF Auth String" colom.

Does that mean i don't have a single device depending on CTL or CAPF?

/Tony

Hi Tony,

Please chck under System > Clusterwide parameters on cucm admin page

This parameter indicates the security mode of the cluster. A value of 0 indicates Non Secure (phones will register in non-secure mode [no security]); 1 indicates Mixed (the cluster allows the registration of both secure devices and non-secure devices).

If the value is 0, then it should be okay as per what you see on the IP phones.

Manish

Hi Manish In Enterprise Parameters Configuration - Security Parameters, I find that

Security Parameters

Cluster Security Mode Required Field

LBM Security Mode Required Field

Insecure

CAPF Phone Port Required Field

CAPF Operation Expires in (days) Required Field

Enable Caching Required Field

False

I can safely stop those services?

/Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes. As Manish mentioned, if your Cluster Security Mode is 0, then you can safely stop the CAPF service because your cluster is non-secure and does not need this service to be active.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan

I have stopped the services and nothing happend. Thats good news.

The alarm about an expiering certificat still pops up in prime though.

/Tony