cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Straight Answer CUCM 8.6 Hardware Requirements

tpfrankli
Level 5
Level 5

Can someone in the know provide me some insight into this matrix from hell?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

What I have:

7845H2 with 4GB of RAM and 4- 146GB drives.

If I've gotten my Rosetta stone translations correct. Then I believe I can run 8.6SU2 CUCM on this hardware. Because while the matrix initially says "oh no you can't". Later on at the bottom:

(2) Supported, but note that Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.0 and later require or recommend (depending on server model and software release) minimum memory and disk size as described in the table below. For Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0(3) through 8.5, it is strongly recommended to upgrade to minimum 4GB RAM and 146GB disk drive; whether this is necessary for your deployment is design-dependent and depends on call volume, installed locales, dial plans, phone firmware loads, music files, etc. For 8.6 and above 4GB RAM and 146 GB disk drive are minimum required.

I do indeed have those minimum requirements. Long term we'll be moving this all over to supported VMware but would like to forgo the pain of the Bridge Upgrade all in one sitting.

Curious as to what people have to say. For the record I did install 8.6SU2 on a 7845H2 with those hardware specs and call manager service did start so I'm guess it will work but would like to know before placing my bets on the 7845H2 pony.

Thanks!

~~~ Rate helpful posts Blog - http://tripplehelix.net
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Providing you adhere to the minimum memory and disk requirements as stipulated in the footnote then 8.6 will be supported on that hardware, without it you will be limited to only a bridged upgrade for the 7945-H2. Therefore either way this platform will provide you with an upgrade path if your are looking at virtualisation in the future.

To answer your question upgrading the hardware minimum requirements will allow you to upgrade without the bridge restrictions as you've discovered. If the hardware was not supported you will notice on the CLI that it stipulates that the platform is restricted to Bridging or something to that effect. The fact that the callmanager services didn't was likely due licensing implications, and that you would need to port over the existing licensing and order the upgrade license via the PUT if you have a valid esw contract.

Regards
Allan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Providing you adhere to the minimum memory and disk requirements as stipulated in the footnote then 8.6 will be supported on that hardware, without it you will be limited to only a bridged upgrade for the 7945-H2. Therefore either way this platform will provide you with an upgrade path if your are looking at virtualisation in the future.

To answer your question upgrading the hardware minimum requirements will allow you to upgrade without the bridge restrictions as you've discovered. If the hardware was not supported you will notice on the CLI that it stipulates that the platform is restricted to Bridging or something to that effect. The fact that the callmanager services didn't was likely due licensing implications, and that you would need to port over the existing licensing and order the upgrade license via the PUT if you have a valid esw contract.

Regards
Allan.