cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Synchronizing users in UCXM

kmccollum
Level 1
Level 1

Our VoIP tech left and I have been tasked to take over his duties. I have many users moving to either different rooms, or sites. There are some users who will be inheriting old users extensions.  I am unsure of the proper method of dissociating an extension from an old user, reassigning that extension to the new user and syncing those changes in Unity.

My current solution:

With Old User

• Remove Self- Service User ID
  • Remove Telephone Number
  • Disassociating any Controlled Devices
  • Setting Primary Extension to < None >

With New User

• Assign old users Telephone Number
  • Associate old users Controlled Devices
  • Set Primary Extension as old users.

When I sync the new user, it errors and says "A User with the specified extension already exists in the Partition." If I sync the old user, it says, "Failed to synchronize users: xxxxx".

My current work around is to delete the old user from Unity then I can successfully sync the new user.  From my understanding our AD is not integrated into CUCM, so this is an issue as well.

Let me know if there's anymore information that I might need to provide.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In Unity Connection, the anchor point for a voicemail box is the extension plus the partition. (Although most organizations have only one partition.) So the error message is letting you know that that extension already exists in the CUC partition on a voicemail box. CUC also looks at alternate extensions, extensions on call handlers, extensions on contacts, and so on. In the CUC database an extension can only exist once in a partition no matter what kind of object it is associated with. (Not unlike CUCM.)

Given what you are writing, it sounds like you use AXL integration between CUCM and CUC to create/update voicemail boxes in CUC. The purpose of AXL is to allow CUCM to synchronize the user account *information* to CUC, where the actual account creation is a manual process. This means that the deletion process is also manual. This is true whether you are using AXL or LDAP integration to bring user account information into CUC.

So, yes, the correct sequence would be to update the old user in CUCM, synchronize with CUC, delete the old voicemail box, update the new user in CUCM, then synchronize again and create the new user's voicemail box.

If you want to retain the old user's voicemail box for a time, after the synchronization with CUCM where the old user's account information is no longer in CUC you should be able to change the extension on the old user's voicemail box to a dummy extension.

Let us know if something doesn't make sense or if you have additional questions.

Maren

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

In Unity Connection, the anchor point for a voicemail box is the extension plus the partition. (Although most organizations have only one partition.) So the error message is letting you know that that extension already exists in the CUC partition on a voicemail box. CUC also looks at alternate extensions, extensions on call handlers, extensions on contacts, and so on. In the CUC database an extension can only exist once in a partition no matter what kind of object it is associated with. (Not unlike CUCM.)

Given what you are writing, it sounds like you use AXL integration between CUCM and CUC to create/update voicemail boxes in CUC. The purpose of AXL is to allow CUCM to synchronize the user account *information* to CUC, where the actual account creation is a manual process. This means that the deletion process is also manual. This is true whether you are using AXL or LDAP integration to bring user account information into CUC.

So, yes, the correct sequence would be to update the old user in CUCM, synchronize with CUC, delete the old voicemail box, update the new user in CUCM, then synchronize again and create the new user's voicemail box.

If you want to retain the old user's voicemail box for a time, after the synchronization with CUCM where the old user's account information is no longer in CUC you should be able to change the extension on the old user's voicemail box to a dummy extension.

Let us know if something doesn't make sense or if you have additional questions.

Maren

"So, yes, the correct sequence would be to update the old user in CUCM, synchronize with CUC, delete the old voicemail box, update the new user in CUCM, then synchronize again and create the new user's voicemail box."

I understand. It is reassuring to know that I am on the right track, even if it is a very tediously manual process.