cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telephone

Phonebabe
Level 1
Level 1

Why do some of my calls get sent to Cisco Unity messaging system default mailbox instead of my personal mailbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

First, messages left as part of the default system call handler will either be in the Operator voicemail box or in the UndeliverableMessages Voicemail box. Your system administrator can give you access to both via Web Inbox  so that you can manage the messages already in there. Certainly someone should be monitoring those voicemail boxes on an ongoing basis anyway. To enable Web Inbox, the Operator and Undeliverable VM box accounts would have to have a Class of Service that allows for Web Inbox and each of the accounts needs to have a password configured. You can also configure the Opening Greeting to put VMs in the Operator VM Box rather than Undeliverable (or vice versa) so there are fewer places to check regularly.

CUCM does not have a "Transfer Reversion" feature. You'd need attendant software such as Cisco Attendant Console for this sort of feature.

CUCM does have the Directed Call Park feature, where you could park a call on the Nurse's phone - but that doesn't ring out loud. Park does have a reversion timer, though, and could return calls to your extension.

The only other CUCM-native option I can think of, and this would only work if you have a small number of extensions for this - would be to create a hunt for each target with the Final Forwarding Behavior to roll back to your extension. You'd put the Nurse's extension in a Line Group, add the Line Group to a Hunt List, and create a Hunt Pilot with a DN of something like their extension prefixed with a pair of * (so: **<ext>). Then you'd configure the final forwarding behavior of the hunt pilot to go back to you. This is a non-trivial amount of work so the number of these would have to be small. But it would work.

Let me know what you think about these options and if you need additional information or advice.

Maren

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Because the settings are not correct?!
Have you tried to figure it out on your own first, before opening a non-descriptive help post?

For forwarded calls (calls that ring on a phone first and then roll to voicemail) CUC looks at the original dialed number and tries to match it to a voicemail box or system call handler. If CUC cannot find a match, it will play the "Opening Greeting" which is the system default.

When you say 'some of your calls' are they all calls to the same number or do you have more than one number on your phone? Is there a difference between PSTN calls and internal calls? Can you provide more information?

Maren

Yes ma'am.  I work on a switchboard in a medical office.  When I transfer a call to a nurse, and it is not answered, it is supposed to come back to the switchboard where I can take a message, or have it go to my voicemail if I am on another call.  Some of the calls I'm referring to are not being routed back to switchboard, but rather to the default mailbox, where callers are leaving messages that i do not have access to.  I am unable to get messages from those callers b/c I can't get to their messages in that default mailbox.  Yes, I

've been in touch with our help desk folks and cannot seem to get this resolved.  Any solution(s) would be much appreciated.  

Lori

First, messages left as part of the default system call handler will either be in the Operator voicemail box or in the UndeliverableMessages Voicemail box. Your system administrator can give you access to both via Web Inbox  so that you can manage the messages already in there. Certainly someone should be monitoring those voicemail boxes on an ongoing basis anyway. To enable Web Inbox, the Operator and Undeliverable VM box accounts would have to have a Class of Service that allows for Web Inbox and each of the accounts needs to have a password configured. You can also configure the Opening Greeting to put VMs in the Operator VM Box rather than Undeliverable (or vice versa) so there are fewer places to check regularly.

CUCM does not have a "Transfer Reversion" feature. You'd need attendant software such as Cisco Attendant Console for this sort of feature.

CUCM does have the Directed Call Park feature, where you could park a call on the Nurse's phone - but that doesn't ring out loud. Park does have a reversion timer, though, and could return calls to your extension.

The only other CUCM-native option I can think of, and this would only work if you have a small number of extensions for this - would be to create a hunt for each target with the Final Forwarding Behavior to roll back to your extension. You'd put the Nurse's extension in a Line Group, add the Line Group to a Hunt List, and create a Hunt Pilot with a DN of something like their extension prefixed with a pair of * (so: **<ext>). Then you'd configure the final forwarding behavior of the hunt pilot to go back to you. This is a non-trivial amount of work so the number of these would have to be small. But it would work.

Let me know what you think about these options and if you need additional information or advice.

Maren

Phonebabe
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so very much!  I really appreciate your detail in your explanation of how all this can work and the different solutions to try...you're a genius!!!