Cisco Employee

Hi Friends !!!

Hope you can give a hand on it.

problem description

==============

ccm version : 8.0.3.2000-2

2 nodes in the cluster

=====================================

phone is in the EST timezone, and all the phones are showing a lag of 12 minutes, from the exact time on all the phones.

Action plan thought by me :

SSH login into the publisher : output for the following commands :

utils ntp status

utils ntp config

utils ntp restart

===================================

Should i take other actions as well to synchronize the time and have the phones get the correct time on them.

Whatever level you reach getting better never stops -- Sachin Tendulkar
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

We ALL have to work with very limited rights on the CLI, unforunately :-).... Cisco don't let us have anything more than you have!

From the CUCM CLI, 'show status' will show the current time.

If that time is wrong, then that needs correcting first. Let us know if it is or not.

I  would also do a 'utils ntp status' as you did on the subscriber to verify what NTP server the pub uses, and then use that NTP tool to verify the time is correct on that NTP server.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

No problem!

If it helps, please rate it!

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

Who are you using as NTP server? In my case, I choose my router to be the NTP server so I sync my CCM server with it. At the same time, I have configure my router to sync with two outside NTP resources. I always recommend not to sync the server directly with the public NTP but with a router instead.

I believee you need to revisit your NTP settings and make sure that your server has the correct time. Once that's done, your phones will automatically adjust their time by the server.

RG

Abhishek Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

phone models : primarly 7912/7940/ 7942

it is showing  a stratum 12 value.

admin:utils ntp status

ntpd (pid 19846) is running...

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter

==============================================================================

127.127.1.0     LOCAL(0)        10 l   19   64   37    0.000    0.000   0.001

*10.0.96.201     LOCAL(0)        11 u   28   64   37    0.149    0.019   0.014

synchronised to NTP server (10.0.96.201) at stratum 12

time correct to within 24 ms

polling server every 64 s

Current time in UTC is : Tue Sep 13 15:23:09 UTC 2011

Current time in Asia/Kolkata is : Tue Sep 13 20:53:09 IST 2011

admin:utils ntp config

This node is configured to synchronize with one of the following NTP server(s):

INDIPTCCM1

admin:utils ntp restart

Restarting NTP

admin:

=======================

the  call manager is the ntp server in this case as seen from the ntp serverfrom cisco os admin page

the time is still 12 minutes behind the normal time .

=======================================

still have not restarted the TFTP services, wanted to confirm whether restarting the tftp service, during production hours would cause any down time.

============================================

i also think there was a specific command for resynchronizing the ntp server ( and is it different) from utils ntp restart.

the time zone in the date/time group : GMT -5 EST

Hi

I would verify that the NTP server your CCM is pointed to is correct. I use this little tool to check them quickly : http://www.ntp-time-server.com/ntp-server-tool.html

It appears that your CCM thinks it is in sync:

time correct to within 24 ms

Regards

Aaron

yes i also read it a little while back, what should be the course of action ahead,as even restarting the ntp server through ntp utils restart, did not solve it, as mentioned earlier, i am yet to restart the tftp services ( due to down time issues) , so i am stuck here.

From the look of it in the os admin , it seems that the phones are picking the time from the call manager itself.

Can you clarify your problem a little?

I though you were saying the phones are 12 minutes out?

Is the CM server time 12 minutes out?

Hi Aaron,

thanks for the tool, here is the info for the ntp tool from the publisher

Hi

So was 11:59:08 the correct time when you ran the tool?

What NTP server does the publisher synchronise to?

Aaron

Abhishek Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aaron

problem : the phones ( 7912,7940,7942) are showing time-lag of 12 minutes. The call manager is having a date/time group : GMT -5 : 00 EST, and the phones are assigned this device pool having the above mentioned date/time group  of :

GMT -5 : 00 EST.

I am new to the organization and still have to be given the os admin rights, so at the risk of sounding stupid i want to know can we check the time on the call manager from the GUI, cause ideally we do it from the CLI , through show status, am i correct?

i am kind of working on it with very limited rights on the call manager OS and CLI , so would really appreciate of the you can guide me here.

In case you need more information from my side, kindly let me know.

Hi Aaron,

No, the time was not same. I have attached a current snippet for you : the current time when the snippet was taken was 11: 39 am EST.

Hi

We ALL have to work with very limited rights on the CLI, unforunately :-).... Cisco don't let us have anything more than you have!

From the CUCM CLI, 'show status' will show the current time.

If that time is wrong, then that needs correcting first. Let us know if it is or not.

I  would also do a 'utils ntp status' as you did on the subscriber to verify what NTP server the pub uses, and then use that NTP tool to verify the time is correct on that NTP server.

Aaron