Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to obtain additional ringtones from server 7841 IP Phone

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

Our client facing problem with ringtone for IP Phones as below:

Customer unable to play the ringtones other than Chirp 1 & 2.
Customer able to see the other ring tones, when try to access they get error message 'unable to obtain additional ringtones from server'

I think they are hitting the bug 

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCva82202

Their CUCM version is 11.5.1.10000-6

Is there any workaround at the moment? they want to change the ringtone or add new ringtone. but only 2 ringtone its showing.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jaheshkhan wrote:

Is there any workaround at the moment?

A COP file has been posted to cisco.com to prevent this issue from re-occurring even after applying the workaround:
https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?i=!y&mdfid=286306100&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&os=

Note: You MUST install this COP file and also apply the below workaround to ensure issue does not re-occur.

Workaround:
1) Using CLI command (file delete tftp), OR the OSAdmin GUI -> Software Upgrades -> TFTP file Management page,
Delete the affected file(s).

Example of CLI method to delete signed Ringlist files:
file delete tftp Ringlist.xml.sgn
file delete tftp Ringlist-wb.xml.sgn

Example of CLI method to delete signed ringtone files, in raw and rwb format:
file delete tftp Chime.raw.sgn
file delete tftp Ascent.rwb.sgn

Example to delete all signed ringtone files, in raw and rwb format:
file delete tftp *.raw.sgn
file delete tftp *.rwb.sgn

2) Restart the TFTP service

Please take note of the COP file above, as in the case of the ringtone raw and rwb files, without the COP file, they will need to be deleted each time the ringer is changed and changed back since these file will be regenerated thus, causing the issue again.
Apart from the COP file, upgrading to fixed release will also work.

View solution in original post

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

Atlast i found the issue.. 

for 7841 and 8841 the file should be Ringlist-wb.xml

I was trying on Ringlist.xml instead of Ringlist-wb.xml

So cop there is no issue. its working fine..

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jaheshkhan wrote:

Is there any workaround at the moment?

A COP file has been posted to cisco.com to prevent this issue from re-occurring even after applying the workaround:
https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?i=!y&mdfid=286306100&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&os=

Note: You MUST install this COP file and also apply the below workaround to ensure issue does not re-occur.

Workaround:
1) Using CLI command (file delete tftp), OR the OSAdmin GUI -> Software Upgrades -> TFTP file Management page,
Delete the affected file(s).

Example of CLI method to delete signed Ringlist files:

Example of CLI method to delete signed ringtone files, in raw and rwb format:
file delete tftp Chime.raw.sgn
file delete tftp Ascent.rwb.sgn

Example to delete all signed ringtone files, in raw and rwb format:

2) Restart the TFTP service

Please take note of the COP file above, as in the case of the ringtone raw and rwb files, without the COP file, they will need to be deleted each time the ringer is changed and changed back since these file will be regenerated thus, causing the issue again.
Apart from the COP file, upgrading to fixed release will also work.

Thank you for fast reply.

If I dont want to apply cop file at this moment what Procedure i want to do. 

just delete the following and restart tftp?

Do I need to backup those files? or will it regenerate all the above files after tftp service got restarted?

There is no, or at least small, impact in installing this COP file. What reason do you have for not wanting to install it?

As @Leo Laohoo wrote as soon as anyone access any of the ringtones from a phone the files will automatically be generated and then you likely have the problem again on another phone. The only option to fix it and stay on the current version is to apply the COP file.

Response Signature

OK. thanks.. why i dont want to install cop file . they just wanted  to change phone ringtone for only one phone at the moment. 

So i thought at least let that happen at this moment and and install cop file in planned manner. 

So just for confirmation i need to install the following cop file right?

"COP file to address TFTP defects CSCvc37783, CSCva82202 and CSCvc49569 for CUCM 11.5(1). This file MUST be installed prior to applying any timezone updates and is only applicable to versions prior to SU2 (see readme for specifics).
ciscocm.tftp_tzupdate_version_v1.0.cop.sgn"

Yes. I just read the readme for it. As I remembered there is really no impact at all in installing this file.

Response Signature

After some months we are trying to add new custom ringtone. I ended with same issue. its not showing the updated ringtone in the list . i applying cop files some months back and it worked. but now after some months when we tried to add new ringtone its not showing.

as instructed I removed ringlist-wb.xml and ringlist.xml.sgn adn restarted the tftp. now when we tried to see the list. its only showing two ringtone?

Do I need to apply the patch again and redo the steps again?

I do believe that you got the correct answer on this from @Leo Laohoo. If you have followed this to the letter and you still have issues with this I’d advise you to reach out to TAC to get their help on this.

Response Signature

There is a difference what Im doing now and previous one.

In the main thread we were trying to use existing Ringlist.xml and then trying to generate sgn file.

at that time it was successful.

but now I need ot change Ringlist.xml with new ringtone added to it. this never works. it showing the same even after applying patch. 

I applied patch.

then removed ringlist.xml, Ringlist-wb.xml, Ringlist-wb.xml.sgn

Then uploaded newly created Ringlist.xml.

restarted TFTP services on both CUCM server. The Above steps done on both CUCM pub and sub.

but after that getting error as "Unable to obtain additional ringtones from server"

Verify that you are following the process exactly for how to create PCM file(s) and update the Ringlist.xml file and that you are doing this in the correct folder that applies to the model of phone that you're changing the available ring tones for.

For an example please see this blog post https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-custom-ring-tones-to-a-cisco-ip-phone

Also please look at this document https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjQzsLBh8LzAhXq-ioKHUJdDqoQFnoECDEQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fc%2Fen%2Fus%2Ftd%2Fdocs%2Fvoice_ip_comm%2Fcucm%2Fadmin%2F10_0_1%2Fccmfeat%2FCUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-feat...

Response Signature

Steps seems to be correct. only thing is that new updated RingList.xml not accepting it seems.

Please post your PCM file(s) and the XML file so that we can verify them.

Response Signature

kindly note when I checked with CIPC its working fine. But with 78XX and 88XX series not showing yet.. 

if its working in CIPC it should work here too right?

Check this video, it should outline what you need to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1TD9f7EXw

Response Signature

Timeline: Quick look at how to create custom ringtones for your Cisco IP Phones. 00:00 - Intro 00:58 - One of Cisco's Doc on Custom Ringtones 1:21 - Using Audacity to convert .MP3 to .RAW 4:50 - Staging and configuring files for TFTP 6:54 - Uploading files and restarting CUCM TFTP Services 9:42 -

I followed this video only ..

As per your request attaching the PCM and XML files that I created: