Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upgrade CP 7965G

Hi Cisco Community,

Can you please help me on this matter? I am currently try to upgrade a CP 7965G with a current firmware is SCCP45.8-3-2S.

I tried different firmware like SCCP45.9-3-1-1S, SCCP45.8-3-3S and SCCP45.8-3-2S but still no outcome.

Kindly see attached files as well for your reference and some screenshots.

** Note : that I am not restarting the TFTP server because we are having issue on the node. Also we are running 11.5 Call Manager

10 Replies 10

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

You should download the 8-5-2S firmware for these phones on all TFTP servers, restart TFTP service and let the phones upgrade to 8-5-2S load since it is the intermediate load mandatory before you upgrade to a higher load. If the phone is unable to upgrade by pointing to 8-5-2S and restarting TFTP then you need to get packet captures from one of the phones while it is attempting to upgrade as well as TFTP traces from cucm.

Manish

Hi Manish,

Thank you for that information.

I will try it and will update you.

Could I also ask if you know an upgrade matrix for 7945 phone?

John

Hi John,

Basically you need to upgrade to the 8-5-2S load first before upgrading to any higher firmware, it is a well known issue with dozens of similar posts on support community. Apart from that there is no real matrix that you need to worry about, any special instructions for a load will be documented in the Read me file or release notes of the firmware.

HTH

Manish

Hi Manish,

I already restarted the tftp server and still the same result . Kindly see attached photo for reference can I kindly ask your help?

Hi John,

I would suggest that you do the following:

>> Install the 8-5-2S load on all servers in the cluster

>> Make sure that 8-5-2S load appears under device defaults on cucm admin page, else enter the 8-5-2S load name in the 'Phone Load name' field of the 7965's ( like in the screenshot you shared, do take care of entering the correct load name ).

>> Restart TFTP service on all TFTP servers and reset the phones

Please remember that if you have the 'Phone Load name' field populated with the 8-3-2S load name ( like you see in the screenshot that you attached ), the phone will never attempt an upgrade to any other load. The value specified in the Phone Load name field becomes the default load that the phone will use no matter what is specified in the device defaults. So that needs to be removed or changed to the desired load.

HTH

Manish

Hi,

I would want to perform two things and see

1. Have you installed the 8-5-2S Firmware and reset the TFTP Servers?

2. As per Manish's suggestion, please remove the the Phone Load Name

3. Remove the ITL/CTL file from the phone or do a perform a factory reset on the phone and see if it makes any difference.

Regards

Wilson Samuel

PS: Plz rate all helpful posts

Hi Manish and Wilson,

I tried to upload cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.8-5-2S on both nodes pub and sub restarted the TFTP server and still the results are:

Active Load ID: None
Download Status:

None

is there anything I can still do on this to upgrade?

Hi John,

Can you plz confirm if you tried the other suggestions as well:

"

>> Make sure that 8-5-2S load appears under device defaults on cucm admin page, else enter the 8-5-2S load name in the 'Phone Load name' field of the 7965's ( like in the screenshot you shared, do take care of entering the correct load name ).

Please remember that if you have the 'Phone Load name' field populated with the 8-3-2S load name ( like you see in the screenshot that you attached ), the phone will never attempt an upgrade to any other load. The value specified in the Phone Load name field becomes the default load that the phone will use no matter what is specified in the device defaults. So that needs to be removed or changed to the desired load."

Manish

Hi Manish,

Yup I tried both of your possibile solution but still the same result. Please see screenshot hoping for your help until the end this issue is kinda hard.

Also, note that I did not yet do a factory reset because it might be bricked**

Is the issue impacting only one phone? If yes, then try deleting the CTL/ITL files and see if that helps. If it does not then as suggested earlier we will need packet captures from the IP phone or cucm ( preferably both ) while you reset the phone to see why the upgrade fails. Else, you may try a factory reset as a last option.

HTH

Manish