Views
Helpful
Replies

Ungraceful shutdown detected - warning

ziqex
Level 4
Level 4

Hello everyone,

I wonder how do you cope with the 12.5.1 feature that notifies you about ungraceful shutdowns?

Since we upgraded our clusters to new version we had to rebuild nodes multiple times. 

We have consulted this with senior staff that deals with databases and they stated that cisco should not force users to rebuild nodes each time the warning is present. Instead there should be checks presents that allows to validate the health of the db.

Does anybody knows if patching cucm to newer version e.g. System version: 12.5.1.15900-66 will remove the warning from the cluster?

current version: System version: 12.5.1.14900-63 Unrestricted

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

8 Replies 8

Some one in the community  mentioned that upgrading to the latest versions removed that warning. But i dint get a chance to test this and  I am not able to trace that thread..

There is a feature request to introduce a cop file and  need more votes.

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-3773

Response Signature

Just a food for thought. Wouldn’t it be better if you where to not shutdown your CM nodes in an unsupported way? This is the root cause of the message. If you where to stop doing this you should not get the warning. As of now there are AFAIK no option to check for corruption of data, that could affect more than just the database. Also files in the file system could become corrupted by a wrongful shutdown of the system.

Response Signature

It sounds good in theory but not in real environment. First of all, to shutdown the nodes you need to give admin rights to call managers to more people. Additionally, if there is a power cut and you have ups that can hold the power for specific number of time you need to concentrate on restoring the connection and not shutting down the call managers. There are many different systems that use db and they can cope with ungraceful shutdowns. 

We've been using call manager for many years in our environment and never had any issues. 

e.g. I have noticed the warning on one of the nodes yesterday morning there was no power cut, now I cannot get any cisco tac support because I need to rebuild the nodes. I am unable to find out why it has been shutdown in ungraceful way in the first place. 

There is a feature request to introduce a  cop which check the file system and make sure everything is okay instead of giving a warning.

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-3773

If this idea  gets more votes, we will have a Cop to fix this problem. 

Response Signature

Thank you for sharing the link.

I've voted as advised.

Did you tried  upgrading to SU(5) ? 

Response Signature

No I haven't upgraded it yet.

Because it's live environment I need to get approval before starting the upgrade process.

I was hoping to get any feedback from users that tried upgrading if it made any difference to the warning. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

It's not that its an impossible thing to achieve. Were a global company with multiple data centers with multi cluster environment with distributed SME nodes at each DC and we have not had a single warning about ungraceful shutdowns. For sure there need to be more than one individual that could gracefully take down your system if there would be a need for it?

Response Signature