Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 Server Replacement

Cindy_Shu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I want to gradually move users from one Unity 7 to another Unity 7, would the following steps be appropriate in order:

1)Run Cobras Export on existing server

2)Run Cobras Import on the new server

3)Run GSM everytime I want to move users from existing to new servef.

Also, would the existing and new server have to be networked via VPIM?

Thanks

Cindy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cindy -

Are both Unity 7 servers by chance in the same Active Directory forest?  If they are, you can digitally network the servers together and use Global Subscriber Manager (GSM) to move subscribers from one Unity server to the other.  At this point, unless you have to move auto attendant applications or voice messages over to the new server, I suspect your COBRAS requirement would be minimal.  Here is the recent Help info on GSM:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/GSM/Help/GlobalSubscriberManager_ENU.htm

GSM requires that both servers be in the same Dialing Domain, meaning same AD forest.  If your servers are not in the same AD forest, COBRAS will be needed to move your subscribers to the new server.  You would not need VPIM networking unless you needed to share voice messages between both Unity servers in different AD forests, i.e directories, while the migration is ongoing.

Hope this helps!

Ginger

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cindy -

Are both Unity 7 servers by chance in the same Active Directory forest?  If they are, you can digitally network the servers together and use Global Subscriber Manager (GSM) to move subscribers from one Unity server to the other.  At this point, unless you have to move auto attendant applications or voice messages over to the new server, I suspect your COBRAS requirement would be minimal.  Here is the recent Help info on GSM:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/GSM/Help/GlobalSubscriberManager_ENU.htm

GSM requires that both servers be in the same Dialing Domain, meaning same AD forest.  If your servers are not in the same AD forest, COBRAS will be needed to move your subscribers to the new server.  You would not need VPIM networking unless you needed to share voice messages between both Unity servers in different AD forests, i.e directories, while the migration is ongoing.

Hope this helps!

Ginger

Thanks