Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Licensing

dhccoid.com
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could someone please expain which licenses should be installed on a Unity Conn Pub and which ones go on a Unity Conn Sub, when installing a HA cluster.

Does the:-

UNCN8-HA-VUP= license file get installed on the Pub or Sub or both?

UNCN8-UTYMIG-K9 license file get installed on the Pub or Sub or both?

User licenses - Do these get installed on the Pub or Sub or both?

Voicemail Port Licenses - Do these get installed on the Pub or Sub or both?

Basically I need to know which files get loaded to which server.

Thanks

D

5 Replies 5

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Here's the licensing installation guide from the CUC Admin Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsag310.html

License Files and Cisco Unity Connection Clusters

Revised April 2010

When a Cisco Unity Connection cluster (high availability) is configured, two licenses are required because licenses are not replicated. The license that has the MAC address or license MAC of the publisher server must be installed on the publisher server. The license that has the MAC address or license MAC of the subscriber server must be installed on the subscriber server. For details on installing license files, see the "To Install the License Files" procedure.

Note Either or both Connection servers in a cluster can be installed on virtual machines.

The license on each server includes the parameter that sets the maximum number of voice messaging ports for that server. The license on only one server (typically the publisher server) includes all other applicable parameters (such as the maximum number of voice messaging users and voice message recordings longer than 30 seconds), which are enabled on both servers in the Connection cluster.

Thanks, I have already seen this, it says that two license files are required because licenses are not replicated. Which two license are required?

I have 3 licenses so far on my Publisher,

1x UNCN8-HA-VUP=

1x UNCN8-UTYMIG-K9

1x Port License

Do I need to get duplicate licenses for my Subscriber?

Thanks

UNCN8-HA-VUP= & UNCN8-UTYMIG-K9 are upgrade licenses for CUC 7x to 8x and CUC 1x to 8x if I am diciphering them correctly. I don't believe they are uploaded to the server prior to the upgrade. They are utilized during the upgrade process.

In a HA cluster, the user licenses only need to be loaded on the publisher as they will be replicated to the sub. The port licenses will need to be loaded on both servers. Each server must have the same number of licensed ports. And each server will need its own license file for those ports, since they are tied to the servers MAC address.

HTH

-Adam

Hi Adam

Thanks, that does help

But perhaps you can help me further. I am upgrading two standalone Unity server to a Unity Connection Cluster. Each of the Unity servers were licensed for 32 VM Ports each. During my migration I should be entitled to 64 VM Ports, right? So should I be getting from Licensing two licenses of 64 ports for my Unity Conn Pub & Sub, or split the ports across the Cluster and get two licenses of 32 ports, one each for Unity Conn Pub & Sub. I'm not sure if I should have 64 ports on each server or 32.

Plus is the Port license the only license I should see on my Sub or should there be others?

Thanks

Hi Danny,

I would think you would get two port licenses of 32 each, so each server would have 32 ports available. And I do believe that the port license would be the only one showing on the subscriber. However, I don't want to steer you down the wrong path, so I would recommend that you open a TAC case with the licensing team. They will be able to take a look at what you have, and based on what you are upgrading to, make the proper suggestion for what licenses you will need.

HTH

-Adam

If helpful, please remember to rate postings