Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 4.1(3) to 7.1(5b)

Hi,

I am going to make an upgrade from CM version 4.1(3) to 7.1(5b) using the in-place servers and I have a couple of questions.

I have 1 Publisher and 1 Subscriber and I have to retain the same IP addresses, which are assigned to them now.

In this guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html#wp43920 is written that I should upgrade first the existing Publisher to become the new Publisher.
On the other hand, in a presentation from Networkers(Best Practices for Migration of previous versions of CUCM to CUCM 8.0, there is a section for upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1) is stated that I should leave the Publisher for last and make the existing Subscriber - new Publisher(so called Hybrid Migration).

Which of the two methods would you suggest to adopt?

I think the second one is more robust in that if the upgrade fails, it'll be more easier to rollback to the previous cluster state. But I am wondering if everything will be ok - for example if the existing Subscriber becomes the new Publisher, are the two two clusters will work fine, taking the fact that the IP address of newly created 7.1 Publisher is defined as a Subscriber in 4.1 Pubisher (I hope the question is clear enough :))
Any thoughts? Anybody has done this?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vladimir,

This doc has the required steps for this 4.x to 7.x upgrade;

Install the Cisco Unified Communications Manager software on the first node, or publisher, server first and then on the subsequent nodes.

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2) from 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vladimir,

This doc has the required steps for this 4.x to 7.x upgrade;

Install the Cisco Unified Communications Manager software on the first node, or publisher, server first and then on the subsequent nodes.

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2) from 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

While the documentation recommends to upgrade the Publisher first, the networkers presentation given by Brandon Ta is quite interesting in the sense that if you first upgrade the Subscriber and make it the new Publisher for CUCM 7.1, you will have an easy roll back scenario since the CUCM 4.1 Publisher is still available until the last step of the migration.

You will have mostly 1 Publisher running CUCM 7.1 that you can test and one Publisher running CUCM 4.1 that you will keep for rollback if needed.

See attached ppt file.

Pierre.

Hey guys,

first, thank you for your answers. I am familiar with both concepts.

I was more interested whether anybody has done the hybrid migration and can give some practical feedback, because for now I think I am going to adopt this concept.

Regards,

Vladimir

Hi Phooghen,

Did you finally try CUCM Upgrade in Hybrid eviroment? I'm working on a similar sort of project for one of my customers and wondering if Hybrid secenrio worked for you?

Cheers

Raj

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Pierre,

Very interesting concept! +5 for this info.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Coming form you, it's a nice compliment.

Thanks,

Pierre.