Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CCM 4.1(3) to CUCM 8.5

We have a cluster running in production on 4.1(3)

Because the system is old, and will not step up for an upgrade, we have decided our best bet is to bring our second cluster (1 pub, 3 sub) MCS 7825 up on a fresh install of 8.5, and migrate the data from 4.1 using DMA.

Has anyone here had experience in this? Any caveats I need to know about before proceeding?

Thanks

-Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

DMA can only be used if you are intending to upgrade from Windows to Linux.   You might consider running the DMA tool on your 4.1 cluster and then using the output to build a 7.1 cluster which you can then upgrade to 8.5.  

From there you can either rehash your dial-plan or just use the BAT tools (much improved in 8.X) to export whatever configurations you would like to import into your fresh 8.5 cluster.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

DMA can only be used if you are intending to upgrade from Windows to Linux.   You might consider running the DMA tool on your 4.1 cluster and then using the output to build a 7.1 cluster which you can then upgrade to 8.5.  

From there you can either rehash your dial-plan or just use the BAT tools (much improved in 8.X) to export whatever configurations you would like to import into your fresh 8.5 cluster.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

Sorry.. not using DMA. Plan is to use the BAT to export our raw data on 4.1 and then use BAT on the 8.5 system to import the data.. figured there were be some issues

Hi

Exporting the data from 4 and importing to 8 is possible, it's just not simple. Getting the data exported and converted into the right format is a length trial/error process.

The process USCitizen suggested is a viable alternative - basically if you use DMA to get up to 8.5 on a test/lab system, then you can export the configuration in the correct format, manipulate it and load it to a fresh built production system.

Depending on the size and complexity of your install it you might get more benefit from treating it as a new system; start again with best practice configuration of all the system wide elements and then create your users/phones etc anew via BAT.  Obviously you can use some exported data from 4 for this, but BAT isn't as flexible on that version..

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Figured it wouldn't be a straight export of data with BAT to 8.5.

Our current system houses about 1200 phones, two sites with subs, and two other sites using CME.  Not a huge system, but not a small system on the same token. 

So the way im looking at it, I have the straight BAT export, which is a lenghty trial/error to get the data to fit into 8.5 correctly.

Or use DMA to get the 7.1 test system up parallel, then upgrade to 8.5, export the data, and reinstall 8.5 fresh and import it.

I'll try to keep this thread updated, as I proceed.  If anyone has tips/tricks feel free to post.

-M

I have an upcoming upgrade from 4.1.3 to 8.6. Is is possible to do the same without the 7.1.5 step. Plan on doing a clean install of 8.6 then using the license files from dma. Utilizing the 3&3 upgrade licenses.

Hi Marcus,

I'm also planning to export phones from 4.1.3 and import it in to 8.6 using BAT. Have you completed it? Could you please help me to get the step by step process for the same. Many thanks.

Ended up having to go the DMA route.  Was pretty easy.  Export data using DMA --> Fresh install of 8.0 using DMA --> upgrade to 8.5 using upgrade cd

Hi Marcuscastellanos

I will be upgrading a cucm cluster from 4.2 (3) and would like to upgrade to 8.6

Which upgrade path would you reccommend?

Do you have a guide you followed?

Regards

Marsha

Hi Marsha,

This will be a very complex process which will need to be broken up into

a number of distinct steps The fist step for the

CUCM upgrade path will be to move from 4.x to 7.x so you can leverage

the DMA upgrade/files. So I would break this down to securing a perfect DMA

.tarball (work with TAC to correct ANY errors) then the 7.x upgrade......let things

get working for a bit before the 8.6 upgrade.

This doc has the required steps for this 4.x to 7.x upgrade;

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2) from 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html

First step will be to create the DMA files. These files will then be

used when you go to do your CUCM 7.1(x) build. The DMA (Data Migration Assistant) files will

allow you to move your data from the Windows 4.x build to the new Linux 7.x build.Here is the requisite info for DMA;

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_2/dmaug712.html

You will have to determine what version you current servers will support this is the "master" list for Server support;

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

You will need to work with Cisco either directly via your SE, a Partner or

PUT (product upgrade tool) to secure the DVD's and pay for the proper licenses

that will enable the Software feature License for your new version.

PUT  (www.cisco.com/upgrade)

Check out this great doc from Saurabh for the refresh upgrade notes for the final step to 8.6.

This Refresh Upgrade will also apply to your CUCM 8.6 final step;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/unified-comm-application/blog/2011/08/11/checklist-before-upgrading-to-unity-connection-86

Cheers!

Rob

"Everything is broken" - Bob Dylan