Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 7970 with RingCentral or Gradwell

philip.jennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

A few months a go, I paid someone to get my 7970 working with Gradwell (and a couple of other VOIP providers). They almost got it working but not quite. That person disappeared (with my money) and I haven't heard from them since.

I don't have any experience in writing config files, but I can setup and upload files via TFTP.

I know it's easier to just buy a phone designed to work with these services, but I'm so close to getting the 7970 working, I want to see it through.

So as I don't have the skills to do it myself, is anyone available for hire to get this done?

Cheers

Phil

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A few months a go, I paid someone to get my 7970 working with Gradwell (and a couple of other VOIP providers). They almost got it working but not quite. That person disappeared (with my money) and I haven't heard from them since.

I'm sorry to hear about this, Phil.  

I don't have any experience in writing config files, but I can setup and upload files via TFTP.

I know it's easier to just buy a phone designed to work with these services, but I'm so close to getting the 7970 working, I want to see it through.

Stubbornness and perseverance will get stuff like this working.  

Getting Cisco phones to work with non-Cisco call control system you need prepare the following: 

1.  Firmware of the phone; 

2.  Configuration file; 

3. TFTP Server to store #1 and #2; and

4. DHCP Option 150

#1 & #2 is going to be a "which comes first, the chicken or the egg" question.  Configuration file will depend entirely on what firmware the 7970 will run on.  I've used the 7970 running on 8.5(4)S and 9.4(2)SR1.  

Configuration file example for 8.5(4)S can be found HERE.

Configuration file example for 9.4(2)SR1 can be found HERE.

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Hi Leo

Many thanks for such a quick reply. I'll take a look at those config files but I'm not holding my breath :)

I'd much rather pay someone knowledgeable to do this for me. That way I'd hope to use the latest firmware and spend less time troubleshooting. If you're interested, let me know ;)

Cheers

Phil

Hi Leo,

I successfully downgraded my handset firmware to 8.5(4)S but I'm having a little trouble with the config file, which I'm hoping you can help with?

I uploaded the config file to the phone but the phone lines don't work - the phone just says 'registering' and the lines have a red cross against them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

<natEnabled>true</natEnabled>
    <natAddress>YOURWANIPADDRESS</natAddress>

Talk to Gradwell.  Do they support NAT or not?  If they don't, then make <natEnabled>FALSE<natEnabled>.  Under <natAddress> leave it blank. 

<proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>

Anything with "USECALLMANAGER", change this to the IP address of Gradwell.

Thanks Leo.

Looking at Gradwell's support site, they advertise 'nat.gradwell.com'. So, would I enter...

<natEnabled>true</natEnabled>
<natAddress>nat.gradwell.com</natAddress>

Also, I can't find Gradwell's IP address - I'll call them on Monday - but would 'sip.gradwell.com' work or does it have to be an IP address?

Thanks

but would 'sip.gradwell.com' work or does it have to be an IP address?

"sip.gradwell.com" would work fine.

Make sure that every changes to the config file, the phone needs to be factory-reset.  This ensures the phone will get the latest configuration file.

Hi Leo

Can you take a look at my latest config file please?

The phone lines still have a red cross next to them and the phone still says 'registering'.

Would 'ntpMode' have anything to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Settings > Status > Status Message

What error messages are there?

Hi Leo

I have the following:

TFTP Error: dialplan.xml
TFTP Error
TFTP Error: ram/SEP001C58A2B3F5.cnf.xml
No CTL installed
No IPv4 TFTP Server
No default router
Error Updating Locale
IPv4 DNS Timeout sip.gradwell.net

I don't have a TFTP server on the same network as the phone - updating the firmware & uploading the config file was done using tftpd32 and a direct connection to my laptop.

Many thanks for your help.

TFTP Error: ram/SEP001C58A2B3F5.cnf.xml

These error messages are of concern.  

Open up TFTPd32 and find out what these error messages are being displayed on the TFTPd32-side.

Post the dialplan.xml file.  I want to see if there are any mistakes there.

Hi Leo,

Will do, the phone is in work so it won't be 'til tomorrow.

As for the dialplan, I just copied the contents of this site in to a txt file and named it dialplan.xml - I have a feeling this isn't correct. Is there a UK dialplan you know of which is any good?

Thanks

Phil

I have a feeling this isn't correct.

Your feeling is correct.  The dial plan being uploaded is incorrect.  

<DIALTEMPLATE>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="1.." TIMEOUT="1"/> <!-- Internal extensions 100 to 199. Wait 1 second, then dial -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="......." TIMEOUT="1"/> <!-- 7 digits. Wait 1 second, then dial -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH=".........." TIMEOUT="1"/> <!-- 10 digits. Dial immediately -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="1.........." TIMEOUT="0"/> <!-- 1+10 digits. Dial immediately -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*86" TIMEOUT="0"/> <!-- *86 (*VM for voicemail). Dial immediately -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" TIMEOUT="0" REWRITE="%1"/><!-- Dial Immediately After Pressing # -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" TIMEOUT="5"/> <!-- Anything else. Wait 5 seconds, then dial -->
</DIALTEMPLATE>

A good example of a dialplan.xml.  The major difference is the "dial now" and the "dial after 5 seconds after the last digit". 

Still not working unfortunately. The new dialplan looks to have worked - I'm not getting any more errors on the phone.

I've attached a copy of the TFTP log file and most up to date config file.

Thanks

Phil

Read request for file <SEP001C58A2B3F5.cnf.xml>. Mode octet [07/11 14:25:28.104]
Using local port 62987 [07/11 14:25:28.104]
<SEP001C58A2B3F5.cnf.xml>: sent 15 blks, 7192 bytes in 0 s. 0 blk resent [07/11 14:25:28.120]

These lines tell me the configuration was accepted by the phone. 

On the phone, do Settings > Status > Status Message

What error messages are there?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: