cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using an AP aironet 1240ag to use a cisco 7920 to connect to callmanager?

charlotterob
Level 1
Level 1

The situation is the following we are trying to install a cisco 7920 phone using an AP aironet 1240ag while connected to a switch that uses 2 vlans.

When we plug the AP into the switch the DHCP server assigns a 192.168.10.XXX IP address which is the data vlan. We need to use the voice vlan in order to registered the 7920 with callmanager.

So we went into the ap and set the IP statically to 10.0.0.XXX, 255.255.255.0 and still not able to appear in the switch still picking up the 192.168.10.XXX ip address. Which causes the cisco 7920 to pull 192.168.10.XXX.

We have tried to set the phone statiscally as well but is unable to reach call manager because the ap is unable to show in our system.

any help will be certanly appreciated thank you

19 Replies 19

The CM is working on the vlan 1 voice, phones etc. you are right cm doesnt require dhcp server for phones, you can assign them manually, and thats what i did but doesnt do anything.

I dont know if this have something to do with it but.

Prior to our upgrade last year, you could plug up a phone, add it to the CM, and it would be fine. Now, I have to plug up a phone, turn off DHCP, manually enter the tftp server, gateway, and an unused IP address. Then, after the phone reboots, I can change it back to DHCP and configure it in the CM

So taking in consideration this i did the same in the cisco 7920. set up a profile statically, i mean the phone is able to communicate with ap using the ssid, but the ap is sending a different ip info to the phone and the phone have my configurations ,so it causes the cisco 7920 not to function correctly

So basically the "upgrade" last year messed up the separation between data and voice vlan and you are left with the bad practice of having to do certain maneuvers including very unpractical static addressing.

As I said before it's quite possible that you can find a way to hack around things and make the 7920 work, but in my opinion it is more important to overhaul the whole install and make things work the way they are supposed, it is not very difficult anyway as you have all the right equipment apparently.

but i was just looking at the issue with the phones not registering properly so i went to check one of the phone that we have recently installed and this is what i got?

CM Reject: Max Phones Exceeded

2006-12-12 18:36:22.102 Code:8105, P:0, S:12300804

2007-02-28 22:52:38.510 Code:8108, P:0, S:12300800

So with this info i went to check the ephone config on the 2811 and this is what i have?

call-manager-fallback

secondary-dialtone 9

max-conferences 8

limit-dn 7940 2

limit-dn 7960 6

timeouts interdigit 5

timeouts ringing 20

ip source-address 10.0.0.20 port 2000

max-ephones 42

max-dn 144

keepalive 10

default-destination 0100

no huntstop

call-forward pattern .T

call-forward busy 0100

call-forward noan 0100 timeout 20

moh music-on-hold.au

time-zone 12

!

as you can see

max-ephones 42 and we have more than 65 ip phones in our office.

This could be causing the auto registration issue and possibly causing the problem with ap as well what do you think?

can I set the max-ephones to lets say 90 ? if so I am pretty sure if i change this settings i am going to have to reboot the router in order to the settings to take effect and could this change affect the original configuration or it will only set the max-ephones to 90 and continue working as ussual?

I have try use the IPSU on a pc that is on vlan1 voice to find the AP and IPSU cant find the AP? weird.

thank you very much for your time

alright i was able to trunk the port 0/9

!

interface FastEthernet0/9

description VOICE & DATA

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 1

switchport priority extend cos 0

no ip address

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

storm-control broadcast level 50.00

storm-control multicast level 75.00

storm-control unicast level 75.00

auto qos voip cisco-phone

wrr-queue bandwidth 20 1 80 0

wrr-queue min-reserve 1 5

wrr-queue min-reserve 2 6

wrr-queue min-reserve 3 7

wrr-queue min-reserve 4 8

wrr-queue cos-map 1 0 1 2 4

wrr-queue cos-map 3 3 6 7

wrr-queue cos-map 4 5

priority-queue out

spanning-tree portfast

!

same issue? what i do next?

Hi Charlotte,

About phones exceeded, yes you can change the masimum-number on the router, that does not require a reboot, the thing is that the router only controls the phone when the CM fails, calle SRST mode. That is, you need more licenses for the CM in any case.

Then for the trunking, you need to trunk also the port that goes to the router, that is I would need to see a diagram with all the switches connections and configs.

One the router you also need to configure DHCP for the voice VLAN as I was suggesting before.