Views
Helpful
Replies

Using CME as a RTP Proxy/Hub

jcioara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure a CME router as a hub/proxy for RTP? Currently, the IP Phones set up calls using Skinny (managed by the CME router), then the RTP stream is set up between the phones directly (by design). Instead, we'd like to have all the RTP flow through the CME router for monitoring / recording purposes.

Thanks so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Yes, you can. Configure "mtp" under each ephone and the RTP stream will be terminated and handled by the CME Router. Very, very useful feature which I really wish would make it into CUCM as it is wonderful for handling remote users connected over VPNs avoiding the need for full tunnel meshing.

However, be careful with processor load on your router. You will find that terminating the RTP streams will significantly increase it.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Yes, you can. Configure "mtp" under each ephone and the RTP stream will be terminated and handled by the CME Router. Very, very useful feature which I really wish would make it into CUCM as it is wonderful for handling remote users connected over VPNs avoiding the need for full tunnel meshing.

However, be careful with processor load on your router. You will find that terminating the RTP streams will significantly increase it.

HTH. Barry

Barry - you're amazing. Thanks! I really am curious why that's not a cucm feature as well. Most likely a processing load issue.

We are having this issue with remote users connected via vpn and would rather do an rtp proxy.  Does anyone know if this is possible in CUCM now and if not is there and alternate way of doing this besides full meshing vpn tunnels?

Isn't this what trusted relay points (TRP) are for in cucm? (just guessing)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App