Views
Helpful
Replies

Using digital phones with UC560

brokeasshachi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This will be my first post here, though i do spend a lot of time going through these forums! I'm new to VoIP/Telephony, but have been working in networking for a while now.

I have a problem though. One of our recent projects was to install a UC560, replacing a digital PBX system and about 48 phones. This all went ok, but we ran into one problem: The company has an intercom positioned on the outside of one of the doors that they use for package deliveries (fedex, etc). We assumed that the intercom was analog, and were able to successfully test this theory by splicing in an rj11 connecter behind the intercom and connecting it to an analog phone set (using the PBX side of the wire), we were also able to dial through the digital PBX to the designated extensions for the intercom.

However, we were unable to trace the cable back to the 66BLOCK in the telecom room, this was the first sign of weird. Finally using some intuition and the digital PBX's LEDs we were able to trace the cable at the 66BLOCK and were able to attach an analog phone to the wires, only to find that the signal had been digitized somewhere along the line. This leads me to assume that somewhere inbetween the intercom and the 66BLOCK there is something converting the analog signal from the intercom to digital for the PBX to understand.

Somehow we need to find a way to connect that intercom to the UC560's FXS ports, but as i see it we have 2 choices: 1. recable, or 2. find some way to convert the signal back to analog at the coms room..

i did some research and found this:

http://www.telcom-data.com/products/19010.aspx

does anyone have any experience with something like this? Or possible know a better way to convert the digital signal back to analog or even converting the digital signal to IP to connect directly to the UC560?

We obviously want to avoid recabling as that takes time, and is expensive.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide! Let me know if you have any ideas.

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The product you found allows to connect an analog phone to a PBX digital port.

From you description you would need to opposite, that is a digital phone to an analog port.

My reccomendation would be to avoid gizmos anyway.