cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP-- bad quality for local clients, good for remote (?)

Mic_Jameson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks.

Symptom-- "the quality of the office WiFi network is very poor in meetings. Impossible for the people inside the office to participate. The remote people hear everything, the people at the office do not hear much, but are properly heard for remote people."

I could imagine many problems if symptom was uniform. I do no know what could cause this lopsided network symptom. What could cause this in ONLY the office?

Evidence translates that inbound VOIP traffic has low priority. What realistic situation would cause this?

4 Replies 4

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there, as your correctly mentioed, there could be a number of reasons, but RTP will be main culprit here, including the below.

* RTP traffic is being blocked or consumed by a FireWall, (FW), or another security device.

* RTP traffic is being misrouted, (by a route recently added / learned, or a VRF or WAN)

* Signalling issues, (call agent is not passing the correct ports or codec, or the communication is tagged as 'send only' or 'receive only')

* RTP traffic is corrupted.

Hope this Helps

Cheers

Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution"***

Thank you for your response. Can you please tell me a bit about...

* RTP traffic is being blocked or consumed by a FireWall, (FW), or another security device.

Wouldn't that mean a complete loss of audio for the office workers? The description seems to say they can still hear some.

* Signalling issues, (call agent is not passing the correct ports or codec, or the communication is tagged as 'send only' or 'receive only')

How do I investigate this idea?

* RTP traffic is corrupted.

What would cause such severe corruption? The network is otherwise healthy.

Thank you for you effort Ratheesh!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What kind of "meetings"?  Is this a Microsoft Teams meeting and the APs are Cheetah OS?

Good question. I don't yet have more info.