Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What model phone am I supposed to have? cp-7841-3pcc or cp-7841-k9

This is so confusing to me.  I have both models (as far as I'm aware, it is possible that the second time I purchased these phones I was sent the wrong model) and they look and behave exactly the same.  I have no intention to use Call Manager, or any 3rd party PBX service.  I want two phones, in the same subnet, that can call each other directly using their IP addresses. Is this not possible?

I believe I have both models but I can't be certain because the outside markings are exactly the same.  I believe the first phone I bought is the CP-7841-K9; which I think is the wrong model based on the information provided in this thread: https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/help-i-can-t-configure-a-sip-line-on-cisco-phone-cp-7841-without/m-p/3373138#M362139

So I went to Amazon and ordered the cp-7841-3pcc model and just received it today.  But both phones look and behave exactly the same.  When it boots up it's asking to "Enter activation code or service domain".  I don't know how to get past this screen.  From what I understand, I can't simply flash the firmware to get the multi-platform firmware.  And for that reason, I bought another phone.

Phone information as shown on the LCD for the first phone that I bought is as follows:

Model Number: CP-7841

Active Load: sip78xx.12-0-1-11

Last Upgrade: 9/6/17 16:24

Active Server: None

Stand-by-Server: None

Phone information as shown on the LCD for the second phone that I bought is as follows:

Model Number: CP-7841

Active Load: sip78xx.12-0-1-11

Last Upgrade: 9/6/2017 16:24

Active Server: None

Stand-by-Server: None

I bought this phone at the following location: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9UAZBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I know if they've sent me the wrong model if they both seem to have the exact same markings on the back?  Do I need to return these phones?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The datasheet link is just to find the right model. What you need is possible only on 3PCC models. It can be achieved using URI dialing and by enabling "make call without reg". You won't need a call manager or any call platform.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Make sure the phone has either the product code of "3PCC" or "MPP". Without any of the two means the phone is loaded with Enterprise firmware.
It seems that Cisco has now made it impossible to convert from 3PCC to Enterprise.

On the back of the phone the model appears in multiple places. In most cases it only says CP-7841. But that isn't specific enough to know for certain whether it's the K9 or 3PCC variety. There is; however, a barcode that says: "PID VID: CP-7841-K9=". Can I trust this as being the exact variety phone that I have?

bijpraka,

I've seen that datasheet and to be honest it doesn't help me.  No where in there does it explicitly state that I can use the CP-7841-3PCC-K9= model to achieve what I'm trying to achieve; specifically with no call manger at all, or as a standalone device.  Sure it includes a list of supported platforms (Asterisk, Broadcloud, Broadsoft Broadworks, Centile, Metaswitch) but what about no platform?  It doesn't say anywhere in there that I can call another similarly setup phone by its IP address.  It mentions SIP registrations but I don't want to have to register it with any SIP Manager at all.  I want to statically assign the IP address of two phones of the same make and model within the same subnet and then allow them to call each other by dialing the IP.  I can't seem to decipher the datasheet to find that out.

The datasheet link is just to find the right model. What you need is possible only on 3PCC models. It can be achieved using URI dialing and by enabling "make call without reg". You won't need a call manager or any call platform.

Thanks.

Okay, thank you. I think that settles it. And I think that I received the wrong model number when I ordered it the second time. I specifically ordered the 3PCC model and it appears I've received the K9 model instead. I'll have to return it.

Yes. You will find the information in the above pasted link under Ordering Information. For a 7841 you will need to order this:

CP-7841-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 7841 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware

Thanks.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Return both of them, they won't work for what you want.

Both models require a call control agent to register to, and to control the call routing and call establishment.

K9 model requires a Cisco call control, 3PCC model requires a 3rd party PBX (Asterisk for example)

You would need to buy a telepresence endpoint which can run in standalone mode to do what you want, no Cisco phone model will do what you want.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java,
Is this correct that Cisco will no longer allow conversion from 3PCC to Enterprise?

Correct, the option has been removed, it was only available when the 3PCC models were introduced.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'm not really interested or wanting to convert from 3pcc to enterprise but when you say that "it was only available when the 3PCC models were introduced" you're speaking in past tense. Are you saying that they are no longer available for purchase?

"no Cisco phone model will do what you want." I don't think that's true. I know that this is being done at a place where I used to work; and I suppose I could try to get those model numbers and order those instead but I suspect those phones are old.

Is it possible that things have changed in the recent past that now prevents this from being possible?

This is possible using a combination of URI dialing and setting "Make call without registration" to Yes.

You have to order the phones with the 3PCC tag. This won't work on the Enterprise phones (K9)

To answer your question: What you need can be done only on cp-7841-3pcc

Thanks,

I have a cisco 7841 that i need an activation code for so i can use it. SN WZP22150vmn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: