cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What QoS Settings for VoIP over satellite?

Michael Durham
Level 4
Level 4

I am a remote worker for my company and I need to get a better VoIP connection to my office.  The office is using a 2851 router with CME running our VoIP phone system.  The office 2851 is connected to a 3524 switch that then connects to a 2801 edge router and Comcast Business Internet.

On my end I too have a 2851 router which connects to two 3550 switches and finally to my 7970 VoIP phone.  My Internet connection is HughesNet satellite.  I am connected to the offfice router via a GRE VPN tunnel. There are baically no QoS settings set.

My VoIP phone works quite well for intra-office calls.  The problem is when the office forwards and inbound call to me or when I try to make outbound calls to landlines.  Eigther way, I can hear the other party but if they can hear me at all, it is very very choppy.

We are using a SIP provider for our phone service.

Any suggestions as to where to start and what QoS settings to apply where so that I can make/receive calls on the business' number?

Thanks in advance.

---Michael

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you cannot have clear voice in absence of concurring data traffic, you do not have a QoS problem, but a circuit problem, in which case you should complain to the provider, and/or try to use a low bandwidth codec.