cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wiping Cisco 7821 3PCC Phone

vsdhillon
Level 1
Level 1

So I got a Cisco 7821 3PCC phone from someone on eBay who resells them after getting them from other places. The phone is in great shape. However, I can't even web into it but I can ping it on my home subnet. Furthermore, I am unable to reset it to factory defaults despite going through all the key combinations and going through the keyboard admin settings. Somehow, it is getting provisioned to a random IP address that belongs to Cincinnati Bell (attached pic). I read somewhere that the settings to factory default these phones get overridden by the settings that are set by the administrator of the call manager that is being used. Cincinnati Bell was of no help with this. As such, is there any other way to factory default these phones so it wipes all of the settings from it? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is MPP/3PCC firmware, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to access the GUI. 

What might be happening is that the phone has been previously provisioned and web access has been disabled. Or it might have been changed to https. Try 

https://192.168.1.100/admin/advanced

In my opinion you have to try and factory reset it. I know you have tried it but if the phone has been previously provisioned, its the only way of getting it back up.

Please see: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/MPP/7800/english/adminguide/pa2d_b_7800-mpp-ag-11/pa2d_b_7800-mpp-ag-11_chapter_01101.html

Step 1

Unplug the phone:

• If using PoE, unplug the LAN cable.
  • If using the power cube, unplug the power cube.
Step 2

Wait 5 seconds.

Step 3

Press and hold # and plug the phone back in.

The phone begins the reboot process. The headset button and the speaker button light up.
Step 4

On earlier hardware versions, the Mute button lights up. Wait for the Mute button to turn off.

Step 5

Press 123456789*0# keys in sequence

When you press 1, the lights on the headset button turns off. The light on the Select button flashes when a button is pressed.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the phone powers on normally.

Caution 

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

View solution in original post

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi 

When performing a factory reset, it should wipe out everything. No password should be persistent after factory reset. So on theory, accessing 

http://192.168.1.100/admin/advanced 

Should just work. 

The only thing I can think of is if the phone is being auto provisioned on EDOS. 

EDOS is a cloud provisioning platform on Cisco. The customer would configure the phone's mac address to EDOS and give it an xml config file for provisioning. If that's the case, the phone gets provisioned  before you have a change to log in to it. 

When when the phone boots up, it looks for DHCP options (150, 160 etc..)  if it doesn't find any, it will reach out to EDOS as last resort. 

What you can try to do is to place the phone on a LAN segment with no internet access, so that way it wouldn't be able to reach EDOS. 

Or, if you have control over DHCP options, set something there, to refrain the phone from reaching EDOS. 

Its just a guess. 

let me know how it goes. 

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Hi Leo, thanks for replying but I already tried all these methods to no avail. Obviously the GUI method doesn't count since I'm trying to web into it in the first place. Somehow it's still keeping the provisioning settings in there and I can't get rid of them so it keeps registering to the above mentioned ip address.

What is TFTP Option 150 configured for?

How do you get that info since I don't have access to the web gui therefore no access to it via a 3rd party call manager. Only access I have is via the keys and soft buttons on the phone but don't see anything on there regarding TFTP info.

@vsdhillon wrote:

How do you get that info since I don't have access to the web gui therefore no access to it via a 3rd party call manager. Only access I have is via the keys and soft buttons on the phone but don't see anything on there regarding TFTP info.

Check your DHCP and see what Option 150 is configured for. 

The phone is running 3PCC/MPP firmware which means your browser could configure the phone. 

What happens (or what do you see) when you enter the phone's IP address into a browser's address bar?

Leo, thank you for your reply but the whole gist of my original question is I can't get into the phone by webbing into it via its IP address. It times out eventually with page not found error. I'm able to ping it though but that doesn't help me. There's nothing blocking the traffic either. I also used a dedicated POE unmanaged switch and set my laptop and the phone with static IP's to no avail when it comes to using the web browser.

I appreciate your efforts and am thankful for this community but please read the entire thread here. Thanks.

Provide the screenshot of the phone's IP address taken from phone screen.  

Ok? Here you go. Thanks.

I think the IP address of 192.168.1.100 is the "favorite" IP address for Cisco Phones when they cannot get an IP address.  

What happens if you configure your PC to be 192.168.1.111/24?

Nothing. As mentioned a few times, I’ve also set a static IP on both the pc and phone on same subnet to no avail. 

I presume you've tried:  

http://192.168.1.100/admin/advanced

Yes.

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please check what firmware do you have on the phone? If you happen to have enterprise firmware, you won't be able to access it via the web gui. 

The software version is sip78xx.11-3-1MSR3-3.loads

Not sure how to tell if that is enterprise firmware or not.

Also, I see Hardware Version is 33.