cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wiping Cisco 7821 3PCC Phone

vsdhillon
Level 1
Level 1

So I got a Cisco 7821 3PCC phone from someone on eBay who resells them after getting them from other places. The phone is in great shape. However, I can't even web into it but I can ping it on my home subnet. Furthermore, I am unable to reset it to factory defaults despite going through all the key combinations and going through the keyboard admin settings. Somehow, it is getting provisioned to a random IP address that belongs to Cincinnati Bell (attached pic). I read somewhere that the settings to factory default these phones get overridden by the settings that are set by the administrator of the call manager that is being used. Cincinnati Bell was of no help with this. As such, is there any other way to factory default these phones so it wipes all of the settings from it? 

19 Replies 19

This is MPP/3PCC firmware, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to access the GUI. 

What might be happening is that the phone has been previously provisioned and web access has been disabled. Or it might have been changed to https. Try 

https://192.168.1.100/admin/advanced

In my opinion you have to try and factory reset it. I know you have tried it but if the phone has been previously provisioned, its the only way of getting it back up.

Please see: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/MPP/7800/english/adminguide/pa2d_b_7800-mpp-ag-11/pa2d_b_7800-mpp-ag-11_chapter_01101.html

Step 1

Unplug the phone:

• If using PoE, unplug the LAN cable.
  • If using the power cube, unplug the power cube.
Step 2

Wait 5 seconds.

Step 3

Press and hold # and plug the phone back in.

The phone begins the reboot process. The headset button and the speaker button light up.
Step 4

On earlier hardware versions, the Mute button lights up. Wait for the Mute button to turn off.

Step 5

Press 123456789*0# keys in sequence

When you press 1, the lights on the headset button turns off. The light on the Select button flashes when a button is pressed.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the phone powers on normally.

Caution 

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

Geovani, 

Agree with everything above. I did everything you mentioned from the very beginning and have been baffled by why it wasn't working. I tried doing the factory reset again this morning after losing count of how many times I had done it and it FINALLY worked allowing me to log in. Incredibly frustrating to have wasted so much time on something that should've been so simple.

Really appreciate all your help and everyone else's as well.

Thank you!

vsdhillon
Level 1
Level 1

So now, on to the next dilemma! Oye vei!

Now that I have the web access up after doing the factory reset a million times, I can't log-in as Admin. Tried Googling and went through all of the documentation regarding this phone. Tried the following password: Admin, admin, Cisco, cisco, password, Password, 1234, and leaving it blank. Shouldn't the factory reset wipe out the password also to whatever the default should be? Any assistance greatly appreciated as always!

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi 

When performing a factory reset, it should wipe out everything. No password should be persistent after factory reset. So on theory, accessing 

http://192.168.1.100/admin/advanced 

Should just work. 

The only thing I can think of is if the phone is being auto provisioned on EDOS. 

EDOS is a cloud provisioning platform on Cisco. The customer would configure the phone's mac address to EDOS and give it an xml config file for provisioning. If that's the case, the phone gets provisioned  before you have a change to log in to it. 

When when the phone boots up, it looks for DHCP options (150, 160 etc..)  if it doesn't find any, it will reach out to EDOS as last resort. 

What you can try to do is to place the phone on a LAN segment with no internet access, so that way it wouldn't be able to reach EDOS. 

Or, if you have control over DHCP options, set something there, to refrain the phone from reaching EDOS. 

Its just a guess. 

let me know how it goes. 

This is great information Geovani. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Agreed a factory wipe would set everything back to normal and allow me to get into the Admin interface with default password but that would be too easy if it worked the first timer!

So I finally reset it to factory defaults after multiple times of factory resetting it yet again and isolating it on a POE switch with no Internet access. I gave it a static IP and was finally finally finally was able to access the Admin interface without needing a password. 

I had no idea about this EDOS setup and have been away from Cisco products for a while. Good to learn about this.

Wow, what a chore this has been and I'm so glad to have gotten feedback from you. Very much appreciated.