cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Word of Warning: Upgrading from CUCM 6.1(5) to 8.6(2).

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Ladies & Gents

Unless you want a server that can only be used as a doorstop afterwards, don't even attempt the above migration.

Your server won't even boot afterwards. It *is* officially supported in the upgrade matrix.

This was on a 7816-I3 with 4GB DRAM. 6.1(5) SU3 to 8.6(2).

Tried it twice, failed in the same way both times. Complete reinstall at 6.1(5) and DRS restore required each time. Recovery CD fixed loads of problems but fell over again on the next reboot.

See attached console log.

I'm going to go out and buy myself some more patience (as I've now run out) and will attempt staging through 7.1(5) and see how that goes.

Hope this saves somebody else the same heart ache I've just been through.

MCS.JPG

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Just in case anybody else hits this one.

This error happens if the upgrade to 8.6 fails and it tries to boot off 6.1(5) again. This results in an unbootable machine. My solution was to reformat, reinstall and DRS restore which was somewhat painful. After speaking with TAC, the following procedure allows a recovery without doing this:

Release-note: Modified 03/06/2012 08:41:17 by mick

Symptom: If a Refresh Upgrade from 6.1(x) to 8.6(x) or higher fails, the system boots back to 6.1(x) and while doing so it will be stuck with fsck issue which prevents the system to successfully boot with 6.1(x) version. Conditions: Refresh upgrade from CUCM 6.1(x) to CUCM 8.6(x) or higher \

Workaround:

1. Boot with 6.1(5) or 9.0(1) recovery disk

2. Press Alt+F2

3. chroot /mnt/part1

4. Run rpm -q master (this command should output the active version as 6.1(5))

5. cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.org

6. vi /etc/fstab

7. Modify the last column (6th column) in the row marked as LABEL=/partB from a non-zero value (it will be 1 or 2) to 0 - This would ensure that on boot, fsck will ignore running file system check on /partB

8. Save and Exit

9. Press Alt+F1

10. Press "Q" option to quit from Recovery CD; Boot the system and this time around it should boot successfully to 6.1(5)

HTH somebody else

Barry Hesk

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Just in case anybody else hits this one.

This error happens if the upgrade to 8.6 fails and it tries to boot off 6.1(5) again. This results in an unbootable machine. My solution was to reformat, reinstall and DRS restore which was somewhat painful. After speaking with TAC, the following procedure allows a recovery without doing this:

Release-note: Modified 03/06/2012 08:41:17 by mick

Symptom: If a Refresh Upgrade from 6.1(x) to 8.6(x) or higher fails, the system boots back to 6.1(x) and while doing so it will be stuck with fsck issue which prevents the system to successfully boot with 6.1(x) version. Conditions: Refresh upgrade from CUCM 6.1(x) to CUCM 8.6(x) or higher \

Workaround:

1. Boot with 6.1(5) or 9.0(1) recovery disk

2. Press Alt+F2

3. chroot /mnt/part1

4. Run rpm -q master (this command should output the active version as 6.1(5))

5. cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.org

6. vi /etc/fstab

7. Modify the last column (6th column) in the row marked as LABEL=/partB from a non-zero value (it will be 1 or 2) to 0 - This would ensure that on boot, fsck will ignore running file system check on /partB

8. Save and Exit

9. Press Alt+F1

10. Press "Q" option to quit from Recovery CD; Boot the system and this time around it should boot successfully to 6.1(5)

HTH somebody else

Barry Hesk

Thanks for the update Barry! Much appreciated my friend

Cheers!

Rob

"Celebration it's around us, every nations, all around us.
Singin' forever young, singin' songs underneath that sun" - K'naan