Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Migration

marwajeljlii
Level 1
Level 1

Dear ALL,

In our country, we are preparing for the IPv6 Migration. This migration concerns telecom operators and Internet Service providers and also government organizations.

I work in a government organization and we are asked to prepare a POC to the manager that we are able to migrate to IPv6 without any problem.

We have olnly 2 public IP addresses. In this case, should we migrate the hole local network from IPv4 private addresses to unique local IPv6 ones? or there is something else to do in order to keep current IPv4 configuration and just modify the public IP.

Thanks for help 

Marwa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MrButton
Level 1
Level 1

Most ISP's are already handing off IPv6 to their customers and converting 6 to 4 at the CPE (customer end point).  You dont need to convert your RFC1918 network to 6.  Well I havent needed to.

When you get a chance read this link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_nat/configuration/15-mt/nat-15-mt-book/ip6-natpt.html

It will give you an idea of how the NATs work from public ipv6 to 4. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@marwajeljlii wrote:
I work in a government organization and we are asked to prepare a POC to the manager that we are able to migrate to IPv6 without any problem.

Two options:

1. Get it done RIGHT
  2. Get it done CHEAP.  

Pick one.

marwajeljlii
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Leo, 

Thank you for your reply.

I'm just asking if we need to change our LAN address plan from IPv4 to IPv6 or we can keep the IPv4 internally?

Thanks for help 

Marwa

MrButton
Level 1
Level 1

Most ISP's are already handing off IPv6 to their customers and converting 6 to 4 at the CPE (customer end point).  You dont need to convert your RFC1918 network to 6.  Well I havent needed to.

When you get a chance read this link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_nat/configuration/15-mt/nat-15-mt-book/ip6-natpt.html

It will give you an idea of how the NATs work from public ipv6 to 4. 

marwajeljlii
Level 1
Level 1

hello Mr Button,

Thank you for reply.

Yes, it seems to be understood. Just i'm waiting if there are any other opinions.

best regards 

Marwa 

ashish.kushwaha
Level 1
Level 1

in my opinion only public ip migration is best option and keep internal infra with ipv4 address.

Ashish K
***Please Rate Helpful Responses***