cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 NAT-PT

maksim.tocevski
Level 1
Level 1

I recently tried to configure IPv6 NAT-PT on my Cisco 1841 router, flashed with IOS version 12.4(25a). However when i go to config mode, I can't type the appropriate NAT-PT commands. For example:

Interkonekciski(config)#ipv6 nat ?

% Unrecognized command

It supports IPv6, but it seems that it doesn't support nat-pt, or I should enable it somewhere first?

Thanks.

P.S. My intention is to create an ipv6 tunnel to a tunnel broker, from a router behind a NAT device to the tunnel broker.... If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to comment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maksim,

You need to check your router and IOS for each individual feature you want to deploy and indeed as it has been mentioned your IOS do not support IPv6 NAT-PT feature as shown below from Cisco Feature Navigator :

And for detailed configuration of NAT46 or NAT-PT here is a video I have already posted in a previous discussion :

I hope it helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

harris-sprint
Level 1
Level 1

Try to select another IOS that can support NAT-PT.

Thx

Maz

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NAT-PT is deprecated,

If you want to conenct to a tunnel broker (which one?) NAT-PT is not needed, you can just run native IPv6.  NAT-PT is only needed if you want to map multiple IPv6 addresses to a single local IPv4 address.  Otherwise, look at NAT64 instead.

However, a tunnel to an IPv6 provider and no NAT at all is the best answer!

Unfortunately, most IPv6 tunneling technologies require the use of a non-RFC1918 address (global address).  The only ones that do not are Teredo and TSP, both of which are not ideal.

Is there any way to can start the tunnel from a device with a global IPv4 address?

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PS:  If you really must use NAT-PT, use Feature Navigator (http://www.cisco.com/go/fn) to select a version and feature set that supports it.  I do not think NAT-PT is a part of IP Base.

Thank you very much Phillip.

I'll look into the solution with NAT64, however I will still need a different version of IOS.

P.S. I'm connecting to two tunnel brokers, in my case SixXS and gogoNET.

cheers,

And unfortunately I can only start the tunnel from a Cisco router behind IPv4 NAT

How to nat46 implementation and verification, please

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maksim,

You need to check your router and IOS for each individual feature you want to deploy and indeed as it has been mentioned your IOS do not support IPv6 NAT-PT feature as shown below from Cisco Feature Navigator :

And for detailed configuration of NAT46 or NAT-PT here is a video I have already posted in a previous discussion :

I hope it helps.