cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 NAT-PT

maksim.tocevski
Level 1
Level 1

I recently tried to configure IPv6 NAT-PT on my Cisco 1841 router, flashed with IOS version 12.4(25a). However when i go to config mode, I can't type the appropriate NAT-PT commands. For example:

Interkonekciski(config)#ipv6 nat ?

% Unrecognized command

It supports IPv6, but it seems that it doesn't support nat-pt, or I should enable it somewhere first?

Thanks.

P.S. My intention is to create an ipv6 tunnel to a tunnel broker, from a router behind a NAT device to the tunnel broker.... If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to comment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maksim,

You need to check your router and IOS for each individual feature you want to deploy and indeed as it has been mentioned your IOS do not support IPv6 NAT-PT feature as shown below from Cisco Feature Navigator :

And for detailed configuration of NAT46 or NAT-PT here is a video I have already posted in a previous discussion :

I hope it helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

harris-sprint
Level 1
Level 1

Try to select another IOS that can support NAT-PT.

Thx

Maz

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NAT-PT is deprecated,

If you want to conenct to a tunnel broker (which one?) NAT-PT is not needed, you can just run native IPv6.  NAT-PT is only needed if you want to map multiple IPv6 addresses to a single local IPv4 address.  Otherwise, look at NAT64 instead.

However, a tunnel to an IPv6 provider and no NAT at all is the best answer!

Unfortunately, most IPv6 tunneling technologies require the use of a non-RFC1918 address (global address).  The only ones that do not are Teredo and TSP, both of which are not ideal.

Is there any way to can start the tunnel from a device with a global IPv4 address?

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PS:  If you really must use NAT-PT, use Feature Navigator (http://www.cisco.com/go/fn) to select a version and feature set that supports it.  I do not think NAT-PT is a part of IP Base.

Thank you very much Phillip.

I'll look into the solution with NAT64, however I will still need a different version of IOS.

P.S. I'm connecting to two tunnel brokers, in my case SixXS and gogoNET.

cheers,

And unfortunately I can only start the tunnel from a Cisco router behind IPv4 NAT

How to nat46 implementation and verification, please

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maksim,

You need to check your router and IOS for each individual feature you want to deploy and indeed as it has been mentioned your IOS do not support IPv6 NAT-PT feature as shown below from Cisco Feature Navigator :

And for detailed configuration of NAT46 or NAT-PT here is a video I have already posted in a previous discussion :

I hope it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco