Helpful
Replies

IPv6 vlan1 [up/down] after configuring IPv4 on multiple VLANS

vladionescu26
Level 1
Level 1

How should I go about configuring IPv6 in this case:

vladionescu26_0-1693520395064.png

I have this topology, in the yellow network I have VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 configured for IPv4, and in the upper-right network there is VLAN 30, VLAN 40 and VLAN 99. I would like to configure IPv6 on each network disregarding the vlans created before(only one network address for the yellow network, and only one for the upper-right network).

What I tried was to configure on both of these networks the vlan 1 interface for the switches but I get this :

vladionescu26_1-1693520584534.png

and I'm guessing this is the reason no pings work in the network (MSW included).
Any tips?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

For a vlan to be up:
1. You must create the vlan.  VLAN 1 is always there by default (so no need to create it) and can't be deleted so just make sure you have not disabled it.
2. There must be at least one physical port up in that VLAN - either a trunk port which allows that VLAN or an access port configured for that VLAN.

By the way it's generally considered bad (insecure) practice to use VLAN 1 because it's the default and therefore too easy to accidentally leave things open and accessible when they should not be.  There may be special cases which require VLAN 1 but as a rule you should avoid using it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich R
VIP
VIP

For a vlan to be up:
1. You must create the vlan.  VLAN 1 is always there by default (so no need to create it) and can't be deleted so just make sure you have not disabled it.
2. There must be at least one physical port up in that VLAN - either a trunk port which allows that VLAN or an access port configured for that VLAN.

By the way it's generally considered bad (insecure) practice to use VLAN 1 because it's the default and therefore too easy to accidentally leave things open and accessible when they should not be.  There may be special cases which require VLAN 1 but as a rule you should avoid using it.

vladionescu26
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot ! Also asked my teacher and they let me know I had to set the port to trunk.