cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Capacity issue on Metro Ethernet

cuchara61
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 10MB Metro-E customer experiencing bandwidth issues and would like to determine if we could be the cause. We have 9 of these 10MB Metro-E’s, our host circuit is 50MB and our backbone is 100MB (bandwidth on the host and edge never exceed 50%). The M-E circuits come in on a 3825 that also serves as the Edge Router so all of this is in one device. Customer is doing Windows server replication and is complaining about the upload bandwidth. There are questions about shaping, capacity and if the 3825 is “big enough”.

We do see them hitting the 10MB but not maintaining it, which is what they have an issue with. My original tests did indicate an issue and I reached out to AT&T. We had no shaping in place and they indicated that if they were bursting over 10MB D/L they would have issues with U/L. I put shaping in place and still had issues. After more research they came back and indicated they found an issue on a “trunk” and moved several circuits, ours included, to a new trunk. My testing after that showed huge improvements. I could consistently get 10MB either way but full duplex capped around 8.5x8.5. AT&T indicated that would be expected with 64 byte packets, all looks good, thanks for your business. (Yesterday I happened to catch it doing 8.4x10.3, but again the perception is that it is not consistant).

Config attached, thanks in advance.

0 Replies 0