cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPUHOG

theinmyintkhine
Level 1
Level 1

I got packet lost from my Cisco Switch 3750. When I checked logging I found the following line.

41w5d: %SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task ran for 11246 msec (21/7), process = HL3U bkgrd process, PC = 1DAC5C.

-Traceback= 1DAC60 6A834C 69BDC8 69D2D4 1ECFFC

After rebooted the switch, I got no packet lost anymore. But after about 4 ~ 6 hours, I got the same problem and need to reboot the switch.

When this problem start, I noticed aircon of the room stop running and the whole room is very hot.

Even I fixed aircon system, I am getting the above message and I need to reboot about every 5 hours. At that time CPU usgage is higher than 20 %. Normal CPU usage is about 4~6 %

Please kindly help me and let me know how to solve that problem.

3 Replies 3

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

There is nothing that can be done about the CPU HOG, as it is not possible to give up the CPU as we will otherwise compromie on data integrity. You can try upgrading the IOS as a solution to this problem.

unicmd
Level 1
Level 1

RMA the switch, something hw is broken with it.

Martin

Hello,

there can be multiple reasons for the syslog message seen. Search for "SYS-3-CPUHOG 3750" on CCO and you will get a number of links to Release Notes regarding this specific message. First check whether you hit one of the problems mentioned there.

The reason might also be a HW issue as suggested by a previous post. What is Power On Self Test reporting, are there any other error messages seen?

Finally you could open a case with TAC, as they know about any open issue with your HW/IOS.

Hope this helps

Martin

P.S.: for a more specific analysis we would need IOS version and a couple of show outputs (show version, show post, etc.).