Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Give public IP to clients with BGP and ASR

Hello, I have a client who installed an ASR Edge router and wants to give public IPs to his clients, the truth is that I have been researching but I cannot find the material on how to do this.

I understand that I have to connect the ASR to an AS BGP of your internet provider which has public IPs, however I do not understand very well what is the procedure to give those public IPs to the clients down in the infrastructure, does someone have a pdf with the best practices or some material that you can review and can provide me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you give Public IP, you need to just route, customer is responsibe for NAT

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have a client who installed an ASR Edge router and wants to give public IPs to his clients

we are not sure what is the requirement ? what public IP like to give Client ? access internal resources ? or can you elaborate more ?

May be client required access from externally to internally, he need FQDN IP to come in request, which can be NAT with Local IP of the servers (this what i understand) - but like to hear from you more ?

BB

It is an ISP that basically wants to give public IP to its clients, meaning that clients put that public IP in their router and go to the Internet with that IP.

From what I understand, I have to remove the NAT from the ASR so that it can go out with that IP. However, I don't really understand what the configuration is like, should I share the ISP's private sub-network through BGP and anything else?

if the ASR get public IP from ISP via DHCP 
then you config your NAT using Interface (which is not change) not using IP (which is change each time ASR get new IP via DHCP)

If you give Public IP, you need to just route, customer is responsibe for NAT

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: