Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ME3600X queue buffer utilization

Dear all,

We are running IOS15.3(1) in our ME3600Xs. In some cases we are using the following feature to avoid drops in ME3600X queues due to microbursts:

Egress default queue limit improvement and percent bandwidth support—QoS feature to increase QoS Buffer depths and default queue limits on the Cisco ME 3800X/ME 3600X. The feature allows setting queue limits as a percentage of the total buffer pool. For details about using this feature, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15.3_1_S/configuration/guide/swqos.html

It's really useful to avoid annoying drops in the customer facing queues.

However, I would like to follow the utilization level of the whole 22MB buffer pool (18MB for queues) that each ASIC has. I would be grateful if somebody could tell me the command to verify it, as I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Octavio

8 Replies 8

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Dear Octavio,

The only thing I've found is:

sh platform tcam utilization qos det

and

sh platform tcam utilization eqos det

But I don't really understand the outputs

adam

adam

Thank you, Adam. You are right, under the "show platform" tab there is a lot of information, but I haven't found how to interpret it.

I'm attending Cisco Live in Milan next month. Hopefully I'll improve my knowledge of the ME3600Xs. ;-)

Once again, thanks a lot for your help

Octavio

joshuacmoore
Level 1
Level 1

I have been told that the 3600/3800 have a single ASIC. I went through a lot with Cisco TAC on this stuff.

What I do is set the buffer up to 1mb for ports that tend to have bursty traffic.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you, Joshua. I take note of the recommendation.

Thank you

Octavio

But increasing the queue limit might possibly delay the traffic. Yes, ME switches has acutally 2 ASIC called NILE0/NILE1 and they are similar to EARL asic in 6500/7600. When we execute the show platform CLI they will get outputs from NILE asic which is presented in a very different format and it is not very intuitive. If we get to know what exactly to look for and ignore other fields there will be no confusion.

Thanks,

Madhu

You either drop or delay the traffic or in some cases tell the transmitter to hold off.

Yes thats right. If I have voice traffic passing through I wouldn't recommend this increasing to a high value!

Thanks,

Madhu

If that's a concern then you can always classify the voice traffic and police it accordingly.