cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router redundancy for Channelised E1s?

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

Well I have two 7606 routers and around 40 channelised E1s, I have two STM - 1 mux and four STM - 4 mux at my premises, I need to design a topology such that the two 7606 routers should be redundant i.e. in case of failure another 7606 router should switch over and provide connectivity from my LAN to the MUX.

While searching I found Automatic Protection Switching as one solution where I would have to use sonet card on 7606 routers and this sonet card would connect to an Add/Drop multiplexer.

I need to know whether STM-4 mux can be connected to STM-1 card.

Also, If I use STM - 4 card then can I have 1000 interfaces for channelised E1s on one single STM-4 card?

PA-MC-STM-1 card seems to support only 256 interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/port_adapters/install_upgrade/multichannel_serial/multichannel-stm-1_install_config/2746ovr.html

Suppose if I use multiple STM-1 cards and configure APS for redundancy, and only one SONET card fails, so will the switchover be for all the cards or just the for the card which has failed?

1 Reply 1

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

I need to design a topology such that the two 7606 routers should be redundant i.e. in case of failure another 7606 router should switch over and provide connectivity from my LAN to the MUX.

Automatic PRotection Switching (APS) is solution for STM1 card failure.Suppose if your 7606 is working but your STM 1 card fails then other card will be used by APS. But if you need redundancy for your 7606 router then i think you have to use HSRP,VRRP,GLBP whichever suits for the traffic pattern.

I need to know whether STM-4 mux can be connected to STM-1 card.

You cannot connect STM 4 card to a STM 1 card but you CAN connect STM 1 card on your STM 4 mux to STM 1 card in router.

if I use multiple STM-1 cards and configure APS for redundancy, and only one SONET card fails, so will the switchover be for all the cards or just the for the card which has failed?

APS is 1+1 kind of protection so 1 card is protecetd by 1 different card and can be used only for you have defined. So if you have 2 STM card/port in your router and want to use protect both of them then you need 2 more card/port in your router