Views
Helpful
Replies

Building an MPLS Network on top of L2VPN

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering, is it possible to build an MPLS network on top of L2VPNs? To be more specific, Imagine that a Service provider X can offer you point-to-point or point to multipoint Ethernet L2VPNs. You might want to take advandage of this in order to build your own MPLS network transparently (without the need to do carrier-to-carrier).

Is this senario possible?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pavlos,

I personally haven't seen anybody implementing MPLS over a L2VPN service but it is possible in principle to do so.

The issue I see is exactly the same as if you used regular Ethernet interfaces to implement MPLS, in which case you need to make sure that baby giant frames (slightly larger than 1500 bytes) are supported to handle the MPLS overhead.

This would have to be worked out with the L2VPN SP.

Let me know if I answered your question,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

Pavlos,

The PE providing the L2VPN service indeed treats the incoming ethernet frame as a baby giant frame and does not care whether the next layer in the frame is MPLS or any other protocol.

It then takes the ethernet frame (minus the preamble and FCS), encapsulates it with a Martini header, imposes MPLS label(s) and forwards it to the egress PE.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pavlos,

I personally haven't seen anybody implementing MPLS over a L2VPN service but it is possible in principle to do so.

The issue I see is exactly the same as if you used regular Ethernet interfaces to implement MPLS, in which case you need to make sure that baby giant frames (slightly larger than 1500 bytes) are supported to handle the MPLS overhead.

This would have to be worked out with the L2VPN SP.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Good to hear.

Technically speaking, how will the PE router "treat" the mpls packet from the CE, just as a GIANT? Is the MPLS label on top of Etherenet label so will not care about other layers?

Thanks again.

Pavlos,

The PE providing the L2VPN service indeed treats the incoming ethernet frame as a baby giant frame and does not care whether the next layer in the frame is MPLS or any other protocol.

It then takes the ethernet frame (minus the preamble and FCS), encapsulates it with a Martini header, imposes MPLS label(s) and forwards it to the egress PE.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Yeap. Thanks.

How did you get on with creating your network ???

just curious as i am building a similar network.

Although this in principle will work no problems - why dont you consider CSC?

Good point. CsC would definitely be an alternative to run your own MPLS network through your SP network. This needs to be discussed with the SP, which might or might not support l3vpn services.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: